The Wisconsin State test?

Originally Posted By: Russell Frame
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

In Wisconsin we are required to take the NHIE exam and a State exam.

"Examination: Pass an examination to determine fitness as a home inspector. Currently, applicants are required to take the National Home Inspector Examination and an exam on the Wisconsin Statutes and the Wisconsin Administrative rules that relate to home inspections. The National Home Inspector Examination is administered by the Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors (EBPHI)."

My question is, just how detailed is the State exam?

Is it pretty common sense or do I need to be memorizing the letter of the law?

Thanks,
Russ

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

The test is a joke. Only 2 versions… A or B. Diagrams referenced look like they were drawn by a 5 year old.

Anyway, before I start going on a rampage... the answers to your state's exam are sold on ebay for about $15.

You can also visit http://www.nachi.org/dumbest.htm

Like I always say... licensing establishes a bare minimum only.

Nick

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Russell,

The condensed version of Code Check helped me quite a bit for the Illinois exam. Time to log off now, I initially thought the topic was the Wisconsin State Fair.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Sorry, I didn’t see this post until today.

Nick is totally wrong on his comments…the NHIE exam is very hard and is a compilation of numerous questions at a random, so no two tests have the same questions on them. The illustrations are a bit of a joke though, so he’s right about that. The questions are made in a best answer format, so although all the multiple choice answers may be partially correct, only one is more correct than the rest. The answers cannot be bought on ebay. Those aren’t the answers to this test. This test is the second requirement to licensing in Wisconsin. The first requirement is the statutes exam…

Now the state statutes exam is fairly easy. I think I got one wrong on the whole test. The questions are right out of the state statute & Regulations book, and they basically tell you which statutes will have questions on them. get the booklet from the state (free) study the statutes, highlight the statutes until they are memorized...a few times thru should suffice. The statute exam is made to be easy for a reason...they want you to memorize the statutes. ( I could probably recite each one) The statutes are all about inspection ethics, duties and responsibilites as an inspector. It's actually informative reading. It is not technical in nature.

Not sure where Nick got his information from, but it's wrong.

Hope it helps you.

Kevin

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Kevin,

Nick's answer was in response to the state exam. You both were saying the same thing.

The state exam has no diagrams…it’s a ethics, rules and regs exam…no need for diagrams. I don’t think we were talking about the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Russell Frame

Appreciate the advice on the state test. I got the regulations pamphlet but didn’t know how difficult it was going to be.

-Russ

One other tip…it’s a finish the sentence type exam, so memorization word for word of the statutes is the best way to study.