There! Fixed that!

Here’s a novel “fix” for those pesky ungrounded 3-hole receptacles in older homes. Just fill the hole with melted plastic! Had about a dozen of these in two basement studios of a triplex. I don’t care if it’s effective…it just ain’t right.

The one in the photo was “enhanced” by the refrigerator being plugged into it…with the grounding pin snipped off!

0051.jpg

Hey Richard, I love it! How about this one I had today----it had the kiddie protection caps-----but no cover plate. Also note the “false ground” on the Sure Test.

West 194.jpg

That is classic! :shock:

Why would someone fill the ground slots?

Ungrounded outlet…instead of replacing with 2 prong or GFCI?

Hard to say why people do some things.

You mean to tell me that someone would actually go out of their way and spend time filling these ground holes because it’s an ungrounded outlet?

I don’t understand the concept.

http://www.joetedesco.org/images/floatingbottle.jpg

They did the same here in the floating extension cord! :mrgreen:

In my area a three prong outlet is required to have the ground hole permanently filled as pictured if the outlet is not grounded. The reason is so that someone will not falsely assume they equipment they are plugging in the receptacle is grounded. Is does NOT mean that you can cutoff or otherwise circumvent the ground prong of a plug.

Paul…I guess my question is…what is the definition or approved procedure for “permanently filled”? I poked at the first one I saw and the “plug” moved, albeit inwards. As these are going to be rental unts I can see a tenant trying to pry the “plugs” out to get their appliances plugged in.

I made the call that this was a non-kosher “repair” and recommended the standard options…ie…“[FONT=Verdana]*completing the electrical wiring upgrade (preferred), replacement of individual receptacles with GFCI type marked “No Ground”, or replacing the original style 2 hole receptacles.” * I’m comfortable with that. [/FONT]

Filled using a hot glue gun seems to be a acceptable here. Certainly almost any substance could be drilled out but it then end up being easier to just replace the receptacle with a new one. Either way the person would be intentionally trying to unplug it. If I had the authority to do so, I would accept any method that could not be un-done without purposeful intention to do so.

Play-doh for example, will shrink a bit as it dries and could fall out. Thus play-doh is not an acceptable plug material despite what any 5 year old says.