Thermal Image Scans included?

This poll is for thermographers only.

I can’t vote in the poll, but “No”

Shoulda probably had it as “yes - and charge the same” or “yes - and charge more per inspection”. I know several HIs that include in every inspection but get more money per inspection due to the fact.

Exactly how I do it. I charge more upfront for the service instead of an up-sell.:slight_smile:

Me to, most have no clue as to the marketing aspect for home inspections due to IR images in the report. My moto is charge more do more with CMOR thermography;-).

If a home inspector is not a level ll they should not be placing electrical images in a home inspection report as it will come back to haunt them. On the other hand electrical images with problems found during a routine HI sells home inspections by the droves. The # one concern of a home buyer is the electrical safe DUH IR. How do you bypass the Realtors choosing the inspector Duh IR

haha, when I typed that I was thinking of you and Charley :wink:

Jason as you know I have two business I do flat roof scans and electrical panel scans on commercial projects and I upsell IR just for that purpose. I don’t Upsell IR for residential I have no interest. I use IR on every Residential inspections to sell more inspections at a higher price its that simple. We have some thermographors that can not understand the simple things. My camera does not stay in my tool bag I use the dam thing that is why I bought it. My camera is my salesman

I’m with you Charley! That is exactly why I bought my FLIR E60BX

This quote right here is priceless. So many people get in to the thought process of “Camera = $xxxx.xx” “I have to add on $xx.xx” “I have to sell X many more inspections”.

Really it isn’t like that. I get more calls on very large IR jobs from using my camera somewhere else and they ask me about it, or from referral, or from whatever. I just got a $2500 two day inspection starting next Tuesday. The guy has never meet me in his life. Instead he knows an electrician I did a job for. There is no way to calculate that in the ROI model of getting in to IR.

You can over think entering IR all you guys want, but at the end of the day there are guys here that make money doing it. They put in work, time, education and money to make it happen. It isn’t hard.

By the way, this works in reverse…well not for me because I only do IR, but for inspectors it does. Okay take this $2500 job I am doing next week. As I go around I am going to meet people on site and chat. If I was an HI they will find out. “oh wow Jason thats cool and you do IR in HI. My wife is a realtor, I will tell her about it” (get her card!!!)…just an example.

The bottom line is, IR is profitable if you dedicate the time, energy, resources and education in to it. Will you be a millionaire from it? Not likely, although I personally know a couple that are from it. I also know one that has season tickets to the Yankees behind home plate, and he only does IR. :slight_smile:

Sorry to get up on my soapbox Chris, now back to your poll :slight_smile:

I shouldn’t have answered as I am in the process of earning a Level 1. My plan is go to level 2 as soon as I can but I absolutely will not offer IR for free.

I still do construction estimates and I charge to do estimates and I am certified for estimating. I didn’t go to night school and pay for those classes just to give my experience away. I see IR as much the same thing.

I have a very nice FLIR IR camera.

I bring it with me to every inspection.

I find the science fascinating.

I probably bought more camera than I need for right now, but I say go big or go home.

I think your posts are interesting and helpful. My point is that home inspectors charge extra for termite inspections, radon testing, and mold testing. What makes those different than IR?

Why not just test for mold on all home inspections and charge more?

Termite inspections you do almost nothing different than a standard inspection. So if I go into a crawlspace and find mud tubes am I not going to report that regardless of the fee I charge?

IR adds more time to a standard run of the mill inspection. You have to do more than just point and shoot. You also have to have the proper conditions (turn on the HVAC, load the electrical system, etc), which may take time. And you have to take the time to analyze the image, further investigate the image (moisture meter, go into the attic and search for a leak, etc.), and document the findings. Not to mention the ongoing CPE for Level 1 or level 2 certifications.

Thanks!

Infrared thermography adds a significant additional service on top of a home inspection. For me, it adds a substantial additional amount of time on site for setup and inspection and for back at the office for image analysis and report production, not to mention the cost outlay for the imager, supporting equipment and training. Add the liability factor.

I’m curious just how much “thermography” is being done by those who do it for free? What do you tell clients when conditions aren’t suitable for what they want (e.g., no recent rain for detecting leaks from the exterior; mild temperatures; work crews/painters which ruin any possibility of achieving and maintaining thermal contrast; when the electrical panel is cooking under direct sunlight)? Do you waive your camera around and say “it’s free, what do you expect?” do you discount your price for the free service, do you come back later or what?

I charge separately and when conditions are less than ideal for the thermography component, my client has the option to forego the thermography and save the fee, reduce the scope to what can be reliably performed for a discounted fee, or proceed with the full inspection knowing that conditions are not well suited for detecting some types of exceptions for the full fee. The client is able to make an informed election as to whether they want to incur the cost and exactly what they can expect of the service, given the conditions of the day.

P.S. I don’t charge $250 or even $425 for an inspection either, so the old I raise my rates to cover the IR work doesn’t really fit.

I am glad you mention that Tommie Witt In another thread does not understand the time factor its what makes me different from his inspections. To charge more for a inspection you have to provide more. I like your term (run of the mill Inspections) I don’t do those kind, but I don’t charge $250,00 either.:shock:

So then you agree with me that it takes more time.

Assuming you also test for mold or inspect for termites/carpenter ants, is that an add on too?

Me too.

I’m not into the up-sell either. If I wanted to up-sell people, I’d sell cars.

Chris I don’t sell IR for residential stand alone I have no interest. I do use my camera on specific items and the same items on every inspection as a tool to promote my inspections. I have no real IR competition in my area. It takes me less than 15 minutes to gather the IR images I use in my report. I suppose some feel they need hours to prep a house for proper images. I would suggest they go back to school and learn how to use their camera.???:shock:

I do mold testing and Radon as add on only we don’t do termites

Charley,
I’m not sure why you are upset. I’m not like some people looking to get into an argument. You run your business your way and it works great for you. There is always more than one way to run a business profitably. My point for this thread is to see how everyone was using the IR in their business model. The final numbers show about 60% include IR in their base model and 40% charge as an add on service. Note: there were a few people that did not vote, but I know their business model based on other threads so I add them to the poll.

As for the comment about the “go back to school”, I am not finished with my training and therefore do not yet use IR. However, I soon will have completed my training.

You clearly have more experience with IR than I and I am glad you weighed into the conversation.

[QUOTE]

Chris I am not upset and my post was pointed to C Evans and his cheap shot at my business practice he seems to always think if you do not do things his way its wrong I have breaking news for him he should just take care of business in Houston;-)