Thermal images saved my bacon

Just a short note that I did an inspection a month ago and the lady that bought the house called me and put the gas company guy on the phone. He said that he could not start the water heater as it was damaged and was kind of implying that it was my fault he could not start the water heater as there was a safety issue.

I reviewed my report and although I did not indicate in the report that the water heater was working (I know, I know) I did take several photos of it and logged all of the water heater info in the report. I was trying to remember the inspection and I am sure that if the water heater wasn’t working, I would have mentioned it (at least I hope I would have…)
At any rate, I began looking through the thermal images that were included in the report, and luckily, I take thermal images of all of the sinks with the hot water on to show that they work and are not leaking out of the plumbing, and I did in fact have thermal images showing hot water coming out of the faucets.

So, I believe that thermal imaging is very useful, even when you haven’t found any deficiencies to report. You can use it to prove that you did in fact check that the water heater was working…

12 Likes

The water heater worked until you inspected the house!

2 Likes

I just use a thermometer. Found many with the temp pushing 140. A serious safety hazard.

5 Likes

This is a very good description of an experience that could have gone in the other direction. Hopefully your post will help newer inspectors learn to document appliance function. I also recommend publishing HVAC thermal Images in your report as well.

5 Likes

Did you take the actual temperature of the hot water? Was it reported in the Report? Does your thermal photo show the temp range in the photo, with the hot temp specified?

Yes. All of that was included.

1 Like

So what is the exact complaint? They want you to buy a WH? Why?

Well it seemed as though the gas company guy was saying I owed them a water heater…at least that is the vibe I got from what he was saying…I mean l’ll own up to my mistakes, but I’m not buying anybody a new water heater…:wink: and if I did miss it, which I didn’t, there’s always the buy your home back warranty that I submitted…

1 Like

Don’t hold your breath on that one.

3 Likes

Sounds bogus to me! Love to know what the gas man’s reasoning is. He probably broke it and is passing the buck. Go figure.

Yes. It was a 2014 installed water heater, so I wasn’t expecting any issues, but that’s probably where I went wrong in the first place. Just glad I took thermal…
:wink:

So it was likely out of Manufacturers warranty, so they expected you to warranty it for longer??

I’d love to know what the gas man’s relationship is to the homeowner.

1 Like

We didn’t get that far. When I showed them the thermal images that were in their report, they said ok, then said bye and hung up…so we will see…

3 Likes

I think back up photos are good. But, If I say something was working at the time of inspection, then it was working. No push backs or yodeling from any goober is going to change that. But, a good ole back up photo is a nice pie in the face.

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly

1 Like

The temperature is adjustable.

little-rascals-the-alfalfa

1 Like

Bet the actual water is hotter!

2021-10-19_133120

2 Likes