This FPE panel came back to haunt me

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey Jerry P., remember this? My first encounter with the dreaded FPE panel. . .

![](upload://pDuzlJmJFgzvEvRfXLzaeaPke5h.jpeg)

I just received a call today from the seller of this home. He's threatening to sue me because the potential buyer (my client) pulled out of the deal.

My client asked for the panel to be replaced even though my recommendation was only for a complete evaluation.

Apparently the seller had the service panel "certified to be in safe working condition and sufficient in capacity for the dwelling" - all by a state licensed electrical contractor.

Sure glad I didn't recommend replacement

Fortunatly, I'm covered. Unfortunately, I may have to deal with this situation all the way into litigation.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Why not have recommended replacement, you are are just as much trouble for questioning it as if you had called for replacement. You’ve already been called by the seller.

Tell him to provide a copy of that certification ' "certified to be in safe working condition and sufficient in capacity for the dwelling" - all by a state licensed electrical contractor", the electrical contractors license number, and a copy of the electrical contractors insurance. then drop a note to the electrical contractor that you have this "in your file" in case "anything ever happens to that panel".

Then tell him you are sending his certification letter, the photos, and all the code violations to the state licensing board, then remind him that breakers are not allowed to go 'on' down. And that regardless if that panel was approved with those breakers going 'on' down, the code has recognized the lack as safety in that, AND - HE DID JUST STATE IT WAS "SAFE".

I wonder how long it takes him to retract that "certification"?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Well Jeff,

This is about the second time in my life that I agreed with Jerry P, but I do.

In addition, I would point that electrician to all those famous links stating the numerous problems with them, probably ending up stating something to the nature, "I guess if you want to say they are safe, its your butt".

Joe Myers

I requested a copy of the “certification.” I’m expecting that I’ll never receive it. I can’t imagine that a state licensed electrical contractor would actually be willing to put his license on the line for this panel.

Did I mention that I did a re-inspection on the property after the seller had his electrician "certify" it?

Here's a picture of the "fix."

![](upload://cPVv1muJNGVdFRmzGLsPMH2KLgo.jpeg)

He placed a couple wire nuts on the bare wires. Oh, and the missing breaker . . .

. . . that fell out when I took off the dead front cover

I couldn't get it back in 'cause it was too tweaked.

Trust me, I'm not at all worried about losing a lawsuit over this. I'm just a bit irritated at the arrogance of the seller who's blaming ME for the failed sale and is possibly willing to try and re-coup some of his lost revenue from me.

To be quite honest, I don't think it would have mattered in this case whether or not I recommended evaluation OR replacement. The end result would still have been the same

--
Jeff Pope
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Jeff,

Jerry and myself were just trying to convey that with all the problems associated with these panels, we would actually go on the offensive with the seller. It works really well once they are confronted with the facts regarding these panels and they typically end up replacing them after reading all the problems with them.

You are absolutely correct, that was ridiculous for the seller to try and blame you for a historically poor product and in this case, one which is well documented. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) We were merely suggesting that if indeed the seller would continue to be an idiot about this and would pursue legal action, you would indeed have provided him with lots of negative information which may persuade him to change his mind. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: kfulton

Just today I encountered my first FPE. I had an inspection on a home with a local top agent from the largest office. All was going well… until we reached the panel. There is the FPE, ugh. To make it worse the box is over loaded, double tapped and aluminum wires to boot. The buyer was not impressed and the agent was ruffled. Not at me, just the situation. There are days you wish for the easy ones. eusa_pray.gif

Here are some good words to use.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpereport.htm

--
Kelley Fulton
True North Home Inspections

...things you think about in dark spaces...

Originally Posted By: roconnor

jpeck wrote:
Why not have recommended replacement, you are are just as much trouble for questioning it as if you had called for replacement. You've already been called by the seller.

I don't agree. Jeff has a very defensible position right now. If he would have recommended replacement he might have been on a very slippery slope.

Jeff ... Seems like just a knee jerk reaction to blame anybody that doesn't have to do with the condition of their house. I would be very surprised if it went any further, because you didn't recommend replacement ... just further evaluation. Keep us posted if they are really dumb enough to pursue this against you. That should make for a good laugh ... ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Just my 2-nickles

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong