This just looks wrong

Electrician + Drill = danger. :twisted:

Not all electricians, of course - just this one. :mrgreen:

If this wasn’t bad enough… Danger is his middle name. Yet the builder/code teacher says it is okay!

Craven 120608 130 (Small).jpg

Craven 120608 133 (Small).jpg

Nice diagram David.

That might be legal. I don’t use GE, and don’t have one handy here at home to check. Maybe somebody knows for sure about whether GE’s are rated for more than one conductor?

I certainly hope we can have a definitive reply.

I hate to go off topic here but the only double taps I let go are the breakers that have the double retainers like this one…
doubletap_allowed.jpg

Let’s compare;

DSCN2024.jpg

DSCN2023.jpg

Yep, a little excessive right?

Marcel ;):slight_smile:

DSCN2023.jpg

I found a box of GE single 20’s, and they have a box lug. The chart on the breaker only lists a conductor range, and does not note that they are good for more than one.

As I’ve always stated, it should be illegal for Plumbers to utilize saws in homes.

What happens? Saw or drill in hand and the brain shifts to neutral :roll:

At least the joists were headered off to carry the load.

It is sad my friends, for in the Residential Market, most trades don’t have any supervision of any upper control, so what gets done is done, and unfortunately, not always per code.
The co-ordination efforts that is needed to prevent this type of work will not be remedied in my lifetime, so we might as well bite the bullet and enjoy seeing some of these things and learn to have more than one pen to note it all.

And foremost, is speak softly to the Client and educate.

Marcel :):smiley:

Just to clarify, notches are not allowed in the center third of the joist, but holes are allowed there. In fact, holes in the center third are the best place to put them as long as they meet the code requirements.

Yes, I stand corrected Paul. Thanks for pointing that out.

I’m no electrician, but don’t they need to de-rate the wires when they’re bundled like that?

Before anyone says anything, I know it’s well beyond the scope of a home inspection.

No doubt-

Looks Like you can fit a couple more wires in there. Maybe phone or cable.
www.FloridaInspectorCertified.com

Hmmmm…Mr. Lerch I believe I addressed all these issues in our phone conversation regarding the lugs, double tapping, doubled neutrals ( grounded conductors ) and some issues with the wires through the floor joists.