Tile roof, over asphalt shingle roof

Originally Posted By: waksell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What to put in report?

Implications of a tile roof installed over an asphalt shingle roof are;

Extra weight on the roof structure?

Additional heat in attic?

Don't know if it is necessary to mention additional expense of removal and disposal when next roof is installed, since this roof may last 50 years.

Any suggestions?

Originally Posted By: jpope

Applying tile over shingles is not an issue in and of itself, however, the roof system must be designed to support the weight of concrete tile. The fact that the shingles weren't removed is an indication that appropriate permits may not have been obtained. Without permits, it's not likely that load calculations were taken to determine the adequacy of the truss/rafter system.

I would recommend that the certification from a structural engineer and a copy of permits be provided by the seller prior to close of escrow.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Jeff,

I was going to recommend that the roof be evaluated by a licensed roofing contractor.

A structural engineer does sound more appropriate.

Did not even think about the permit issue, I will mention that too.

Thanks
Wesley

Originally Posted By: jpope

waksell wrote:
I was going to recommend that the roof be evaluated by a licensed roofing contractor.

A roofing contractor can't tell you for certain that the roof system can bear the weight of concrete tile.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rwand

How old is the house? How is the roof framed? Trusses or roof rafters? Is it plywood decking, OSB, planking? Did you see any wows, or sags?

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905

http://www.raymondwand.ca
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (R.H.I.)

House is 20 years old, roof put on 13 years ago.

2x4 trusses, 24" centers, 1/2" plywood, no visible sagging.

Everything looked fine, until I saw a missing tile on a gable end. Took a closer look and saw the asphalt shingles.

Originally Posted By: rwand

Thanks for the info. My thoughts would be that the house was designed for asphalt, of course tiles would weigh much more. As others have suggested you would need to calculate the load factors for the tiles and the load factor for the asphalt shingles, plus wind loads and pitch. The difference in weights would tell you whether the framing is capable of supporting the load. Roof are usually over designed. But if you have any concerns what so ever I concur that you should defer to an engineer. In the interim the roof should be repaired and monitored. On the plus side a layer of asphalt shingles would act as a secondary membrane.

Cheers
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905

http://www.raymondwand.ca
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (R.H.I.)