Today MICB adopts new 1,000 point system for Certified Master Inspector CMI.

Yeah…I think a POLL is in order now…

Off topic, but I’m going with the flow:

This from http://www.nachi.org/success.htm:

**I would like to offer ancillary inspections like radon, wood infestation and septic. However, I’m not yet qualified to perform these inspections. What should I do? **

Subcontract out these inspections to people who are qualified. For instance, if your state requires you to be certified to perform radon inspections, ask your state to provide you with the list of those that are already certified. Contact a few that are local to you and ask them if they would be willing to perform radon inspections when you do your home inspections. You might even ask them for permission to use their credentials in your marketing literature. For example: “Radon gas inspections offered for additional fee and performed by a certified radon inspector, license # 1234”. Homebuilders use subcontractors all the time. You should too.

**I don’t want to do septic inspections but I want to offer them by subcontracting these inspections to a local septic company. Any advice? **

Contact the septic company and explain that you want to sub-contract them when someone orders a septic inspection with the home inspection. Explain that all you want in return is a no-conflict-of-interest statement from them first. This statement from the septic company promises that they won’t offer a bid to repair any septic system they inspect for you. You can then publicize that your add-on septic inspections come with a no-conflict-of-interest promise. Smart real estate agents will order septic inspections through you rather than direct, just to take advantage of the promise.

Sorry…did not mean to drag it off topic

What, no more Hawaiian Paul?:stuck_out_tongue:

grrr…I am going to sleep Brian…I give up…I can’t catch you…

Not bad, though I still disagree with 1000 as a magic number. I also disagree with the premise that education is trumped by experience. What experience? It could be meaningless experience. There is absolutely no way to verify the correctness or completeness or validity of any inspection performed,. This is especially true as there is no requirement for an inspector to have retroactively followed any standard of care for a single inspection performed. I do agree that some credit toward qualification could be granted by inspections previously performed, though I disagree that it be on-par with educational requirements. And again, the 1000 number remains somewhat arbitrary.

As a point… a person can pass the bar exam and be given the right to practice law, with absolutely no experience. There are many examples of this.

Some jurisdictions allow maintenance electricians in a facilities environment (and with years of true electrical experience) to take a course and qualifying exam for licensure. Other jurisdictions refuse to allow this real life experience, as the person didnt apprentice under a licensed electrician. Though the experience is valid and deep, the decision to not recognize it is arbitrary.

So, for me, I havent seen the magic formula yet. It may be better, but I still believe there can be a more valid pre-qual that everyone can live with. This one aint it, IMO

I also do not see the need to double the fee.

The primary formula that must first be worked out before any real progress can be gained is… How many attaboys are required to overcome or cancel out one of Farsetta’s awsh!ts?

Joe’s (both): This wasn’t a new proposal. It is a done deal. http://www.certifiedmasterinspector.org

In the end it boiled down to an attainable but meaningful professional designation based on education and experience. Project done. Off to another.

Thank you Nick.

What’s our next project, this last one was like pulling teeth? :mrgreen:

Come on Nick New Poll. I like the latest permutation actually:)

Yeah…NEW POLL…and ahhh.Brian…check my number…:wink:

Joe B: To answer your question, the next project is a collaboration between NACHI and PRO-LAB (mostly PRO-LAB) on a new inspector’s site which is a bit more friendly to both ancillary inspectors like mold, radon, commercial, etc (NACHI.org is a bit biased toward home inspectors) and non-NACHI members (NACHI.org is of course quite a bit biased in favor of NACHI). A sort of well rounded site which I hope will be a warm-up-to-NACHI stepping stone to NACHI.org

The site is actually online already (so you could probably find it if you looked for it) but not quite ready to launch yet.

I have a couple way-outside-the-box ideas I want to roll out with it and of course I’ll bring them all here for discussion first… God help us.

I can just see the rolling eyes :roll: & drink in hand :margarit: accompanying that last line . . . ](*,)

:!: :!: :!:

Here it is: www.CMIspace.com

kind of like the popular MySpace.com

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5969

The Horoscope feature alone is worth the price of membership :mrgreen:

This is your
PISCES horoscope
for July 9, 2006

An active imagination enriches your life, just as long as you don’t get completely lost in daydreams. The temptation to pretend you’re something that you’re not is overwhelming, but don’t give in.

What’s the status of the CMIs that got in under the old easy rules but don’t qualify under the new rules?

Works for me . . . .

This is your
CAPRICORN horoscope
for July 9, 2006
A happy end to an old problem coincides with an opportunity for travel. Dust off that passport and make sure all your papers are up-to-date. When adventure comes calling, you’ll definitely want to be ready.

Ron,

From what I understand the CMI Board determined that the new rules do not apply to them. They qualified under the old rules and as such will remain as CMI’s.

Kind of hard to make something retroactive and then disqualify them.

Wise decision on their part, from what I can see.