Transportation

Asked and answered.

What about it?

Is there a question in there somewhere?

I think a negative impression could be given if the vehicle is old, dirty, dented, etc.

I would expect to see a home inspector arrive in a truck (simply because most do and because of the cargo room), but wouldn’t necessarily think less of one who didn’t if the vehicle was clean, the inspector was professional and had the requisite equipment. The final product (report) will probably be what the client remembers, not what he drove to the home. Remember, when you pull up you’ve already been hired…you’re not soliciting work in most cases.

I agree but everyone is different

I agree with you on this one. I had the same questions when I started inspecting and I talked to people and a few RHIs in the area and was told that realtors and clients expect their home inspector to pull up in a van/SUV/track and an extension ladder. Driving a sedan is probably not going to work long term.

Jeff, didn’t mean to sound uptight. That’s the problem with the written word. I understand where you are coming from. In a not-so-densely populated area like where I am I have some days that I am in the car for 3-4 hours just driving to inspections so I save HUNDREDS each month on gas.

Maybe I should bring up this discussion with my wife and I can finally buy the Tundra I’ve been wanting…

This is true, my apologies.

Gas is my biggest expense each month - anywhere from $1000 to $1800 per month, so I get it. Fortunately, it’s a write-off.

Sorry, I do not see an answer. It looks like most here are taking folding or telescoping types that do not reach 22’. I am under the impression that our SOP
requires that we at least get to the eaves, if not traverse roofs up to 22’ if it can be accomplished safely. Those that do not even carry a ladder that can safely reach 22’ obviously can’t do that. I am asking…if this is true.

I agree with Jeff 100%. One day I hope to have a black Jeep Wrangler and my logo will be right on the side of it. I’m also going to figure out how to install a custom rack ontop of the bars for my ladders. If that doesn’t work out I’m thinking about a black mini cooper club lol. People will remember me getting out of that car. Right now I drive a Honda Accord and you can tell people look at me initially like wonder if this guy is full time. Their fears typically go away once I get started and start talking to them but either way the initial impression is just as important as doing the job.

I generally carry a little giant, a six foot step and a painters ladder with me all the time. I have a 28’ ladder that I take when needed.

Post #7

Most all inspectors I know drive trucks or SUV’s. I know of a competitor that drives a mini-van. I will always drive a truck or SUV as an inspection vehicle. I am in a rural area of mainly corn and soybean fields. If you aren’t driving a “work truck” you’re a “city slicker” who is out to screw someone! There is one Smartcar in the area that is driven by a farmers (wife) who happens to grow nothing but corn for the Ethanol plants in the area.

My comment above was more a tongue-in-cheek comment wishing for better than 15 mpg since gas has gone up over 30-cents in the last week, and is now at $4/gal. (again)!!!

3. Standards of Practice

3.1.** Roof**
I. The inspector shall inspect from ground level or the eaves:

Here in Utah most homes have basements and the 1st floor so the roof is never really 2 stories tall. My 16’ ladder has reached about 90% of house roofs. I could see how getting on the roof of a full 2-story might be difficult. In that case, as Chris noted in the SOP, I use binocs from the ground or I try to observe from an upper floor window.

I plan on getting a vehicle wrap on my Camry so it stands out when I drive and will also hopefully get rid of any suspicions on the part of the client that this isn’t my full-time gig. I don’t think I want to pay $1,000-$1,800 a month on gas.

I think as a general rule nothing is ever right or wrong if it isn’t in the SOP. It all depends on the area and what you as the inspector deem to be safe, a unique selling point, etc. for your personal business. My Father-in-law never wants to get on a roof, but I always do if I can. Some people here do their reports back at the office, some print/email on-site. It’s all personal preference.

If my LG cant get me up there from the ground or from a deck etc…, it’s binoculars fron the ground. No complaints on any roofs I did not get onto yet.