Truss Framing Oddity

So this looks odd to me. Gable roof, no ridge board. Trusses run parallel to the ridge, not perpendicular, because it then transitions to hip.

Still, seems like they should have added a ridge board here.

Not intended for ridge vent either. Ridge vents were installed in other areas of the roof, but no here.

I don’t think it would ever manifest into an issue, but I don’t have access to the plans to confirm or deny whether it was drawn up this way.

The only way to tell for sure is to look at the truss engineering package, But I have never seen it don like that. It think it is structural deficient at the least.
I’d call it out.

5 Likes

What is your concern? You don’t like the way it was done or there is a known performance issue?

If there was a known performance issue, he wouldn’t have need to post his concern here, would he?

Hasn’t stopped anyone in the past. You don’t know until he says.

No known performance issue, this is a new build not even finished yet. My inspector saw this, I was not on site myself.

We have no access to the engineering packet, but I’ve never seen this without a ridge board

I personally agree. Never seen it done like this. I do not honestly think it will ever manifest into a serious structural issue, but deficient is deficient and we want to be accurate.

Just a thought. Some engineered trusses don’t require a ridge beam. This being a transition area may not required one and although awkward to the eye, may be perfectly fine.

In-field truss roof hackery :slight_smile: Future performance? who knows without testing :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Welcome to the untrained modern carpenter. Done is good.

6 Likes

Is it deficient? IDK, maybe @rmayo can jump in and help.

1 Like

I would say so. They could at least have joined the opposing 2x4s together. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Clean workmanship or deficient? :thinking:

I agree. I would at least expect some truss bracing between the two, low and high

2 Likes

The short cantilevered 2x4s are probably stiff enough to support the roof sheathing, but I don’t think a truss designer would have designed it this way.

5 Likes

A quick fix to the hackery is to add a flat 2x4s joining the opposing 2x4s together, a hack on top of a hack.

2 Likes

Thanks Randy! Your call @mdunne to bring in a truss engineer to further evaluate.

1 Like

Another amateur framing a roof that doesn’t know how to do it right.
Looks like crap, but it won’t go anywhere and hold up and the bottom line is, it is not right. Not the right way to terminate sleepers at a ridge.

1 Like

I actually have a meeting set with this particular builder tomorrow for a completely different reason. I told my inspector to note this in his report, and I will discuss it personally with the builder tomorrow.

2 Likes

Best way to approach it, gradually bring it up and ask who he he uses as his roofing contractor. At least you can point out your concerns but he may back pedal, or maybe not.