Roof Ridge Uneven - Any Concern?

Just curious about the opinions of others and looking to open a discussion. This home is a 2020 built, two story, gable roof, engineered truss w/ OSB decking. The ridge looks everywhere except in the center of the ridge. I couldn’t walk on this one and I couldn’t get a good look at decking from from the attic. The client pointed it out to me upon arrival so I took a photo. But I cannot figure out how to write this one up. Thoughts?

Probably an oddball high truss at the ridge but hard to tell, for sure, from N. MI.

If it is a high truss, the QC at the factory is poor and it would have bee easy to correct on site, too. Workmanship these days… :roll_eyes:

Doesn’t anybody look before they leap these days?

4 Likes

May be a covered roof anchor as well.

5 Likes

Good point, Junior.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on this? Weather looks nice. Roof isn’t very steep. What was preventing a proper roof and attic evaluation? If there were conditions at the time of the inspection that prevented access you can disclaim these areas or charge a return fee once those conditions are fixed.

I have inspected new construction that was not ready to be inspected yet. In fact I have a re-check tomorrow on a 2021 home that was not completely ready last week.

3 Likes

It could be that the roofer When applying the ridge vent the roofer did not follow a straight line pushing the vent from one side of the roof to the other making it look like there is a high truss.

7 Likes

My ladder doesn’t reach this one Bert. I choose to use a drone with these tall ones. I was able to access the attic, just didn’t notice anything wrong with the sheathing or truss.
You asked me to elaborate? Well, even if I was standing right on top of it, I cannot see the sheathing and I am not a roof contractor. You can hop up on that one buddy. Not this guy.

5 Likes

Bert, it looks like an 8/12 slope, or so. Not everyone is a Billy Goat like you, my friend. :smile:

7 Likes

9/12. LOL. I am glad that some guys like to brag about walking roofs, but I will stay on the ground level on these big’ns.

3 Likes

That is plausible Scott. Thank you!

2 Likes

If it was a high truss or an offset truss it would reflect in the plane of the roof. not just the ridge. I don’t see that in the pic

6 Likes

Randy, on a more comfortable roof, with the same rise, you can get down and sight along the top of the ridge vent and that will tell you if it is a high truss.

Just my thoughts…Stay safe!

4 Likes

Unless they used a 2x4 with woop-dee-do in the last foot, or so, of the top cord. :rofl:

4 Likes

I agree with Scott on this one. If you zoom in and follow the line of shingles it clearly moves up. It’s also where two pieces of ridge vent meet.

4 Likes

Bert, I really appreciate what you provide here and it’s always been most helpful and learning. I also appreciate your uncanny ability to traverse and walk roofs and I admire that and wish I could. I did 20+ years ago in my 40’s. Things have changed for me in the last 20 years that make it extremely unsafe to walk a roof these days.

I do my most of my roof inspections from the ground with binoculars, from a ladder and with a drone. I can’t physically walk roofs anymore so do you think I’m a less of an inspector for this reason?

It sure seems to be the trend that “if you don’t walk, not worthy to talk” around here.

4 Likes

Thanks Tony

2 Likes

That roof is indeed very high up. Couldn’t tell from the first set of pictures. That’s why I didn’t assume anything and asked my question. Going up on that roof is certainly beyond SOP. That’s a good one for the drone, for sure.

3 Likes

Hi Thomas,
I have read many of your comments and I am convinced that you are a good inspector and I have enjoyed reading your comments as you contribute a lot of good tips. Keep it up.

You certainly need to work within your comfort zone, and use your head regarding safety. The right tools for the job can definitely help you inspect without putting yourself in danger. Ladders and drones and binoculars are great tools for inspection.

I know I currently do more climbing than most, but I also realize that this may change as I get older and my comfort level changes accordingly. Its a fact of life and all of us experience this.

4 Likes

And, it is not so easy to admit that we are not what we once were, either. But such is life…at least we are on this side of the dirt! LOL!

6 Likes