Truss web bowed

Probably should be in WTF thread, but I’ve never seen one this bad and thought it deserved it’s own thread.

Any ideas what would cause this?

4 Likes

From what I have gathered from the commercials, it might be Peyronie’s disease.

10 Likes

I see plenty of lumber in the big box stores with that “hockey stick” condition, I’m sure it’s grain orientation, moisture, defects and other factors that cause it.

4 Likes

most likely a vitamin deficiency of some sort…

6 Likes

Just a bad piece of lumber.

5 Likes

A bad marriage. And I think the web is attracted to the gable.

7 Likes

It’s a damaged truss. My guess would be the gussets plates were damaged during drop off or installation with a small gap between the damaged gussets at time of installation, over time the unsupported web member bowed. Interesting find.

2 Likes

This one was just a couple trusses aft of the gable and the truss in the OP.

Not as bad but it still went in the report, so now I’m curious if they keep on bowing or if they find a happy spot and stop.?.

2 Likes

Truss companies cut costs where they can and often use #3 lumber in the webs when possible. That has been the case in several job I have done.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information Randy, I knew they were only allowed so many knots depending on design factors, but was unaware of the #3 lumber issue.

1 Like

That’s a taller strut; In addition to wind bracing, sometimes the truss installation specifications require bracing to tie the center of the struts together. It’s a good retrofit recommendation, if you make recommendations.

That may have been an unfulfilled requirement from the truss manufacturer. Refer the buyer to review the truss installation drawings (if available).

4 Likes

It’s a 34 YO house, it’s possible, but doubtful the current owner, an elderly lady, has the prints.

I recommended further evaluation by a Structural Engineer.

2 Likes

Well now… that is a Fancy word to describe Bad Wood…

3 Likes

Strictly clinical

2023-05-19_224844

Maybe it is identifying as a gable strut

2 Likes

Detached web. Likely bowed while suspended in hot humid conditions.
Refer to, a: licensed general contractor or b: licensed general contractor with inhouse structural engineer. for repairs.

1 Like