U.S. Army requires InterNACHI membership for 110,000 home inspections. Largest contract ever

I am pleased to announce that the U.S. Army and the Department of Defense are having InterNACHI® members inspect 100% of the privatized, government-controlled/owned military housing (about 110,000 home inspections).

InterNACHI mentioned throughout the contract at: https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads-east-1.nachi.org/page-uploads%2F2023%2F05%2F1683753120281-Army-Requires-InterNACHI-Membership.pdf

16 Likes

That’s awsome Nick.

I’m guessing this includes all military housing? Wright Patterson AFB is in my service area. :grinning:

2 Likes

That’s great!

I’m sure Exhibit A doesn’t list anywhere near me, but awesome for all those guys!

2 Likes

I’m not near any military housing that I know of. But I’m curious anyhow about how this works. Do inspectors set their own prices, or has that already been negotiated as part of the contract?

3 Likes

Ben is working out all the details with them.

8 Likes

Luckily, we had just built the app to handle: InterNACHI® Is Awarded Multi-Million-Dollar Government Contract to Inspect Homes in Florida and can reface it for this project.

8 Likes

2 Likes

This is great news! How can those of us that live near US Army bases become involved?
Thank you.

4 Likes

That’s great to hear! As someone who spent 26 years in the army, an achilles heal of military life was on-base housing. A big first step, many years ago, was to privatize the housing… now it’s good to know they are working to ensure a level of ongoing situational awareness of the conditions of the housing.

5 Likes

I’m curious, too

3 Likes

Does this apply to U.S. military housing stationed in South Korea?
If so, please let InterNACHI KOREA know what the process should be.

6 Likes

@gromicko Please have someone assist Kim Jungirl ^^^w/above^^^ question about US military housing in Korean…thanks…I didn’t want this to be buried and missed as he and his chapter are growing.

6 Likes

Hi, @kjungirl. Yes, it applies to housing in South Korea. We’re working on it, and we’ll keep posting updates as things progress.

8 Likes

InterNACHI KOREA must be training a lot of CPIs.

3 Likes

This is outstanding! As a veteran of 25 years US. Army. I have been assigned some really bad housing on base and some fairly decent because it was new and in 2016 the US Army got out of the business of building there own and contracting it out to local contractors to build and maintain. As a carveout; when the Army doesn’t have housing available they give a (BAH) Basic Allowance for Housing to the soldiers. Then the soldiers finds housing in the local economy. Normally these are rentals. The question is… Is there a provision for Pre-Rental Inspection for Habitability for this type of procurement. Often soldiers will get just what they can afford and more often than not the conditions are very non-habitable because the BAH isn’t enough to fit the bill. There are often Mold, pluming, roach, and HVAC issues. These soldiers gives their lives for their country. There families stay behind when the service men and women deploy, often in substandard housing conditions. Is there anything in this contract or is there a revision in the works that could mandate the inspection of these housing issues by InterNACHI inspectors. After all, we are the best inspectors on the planet and I’m sure we all want to do the best job we can for our countrymen and women who fight the good fight everyday so that we may enjoy the freedoms we all have.

1 Like

Yes, @kjungirl. The membership of the Korea Chapter is growing well. https://www.nachi.org/chapters/korea/members.

Hi, @jwhite27. I will make sure that this is an additional housing inspection service that InterNACHI® CPIs can provide as part of this program. https://www.nachi.org/rental-ready.htm

Great!
Thanks Ben. Even better if they make it maditory and at the Army’s expense for rentals. They could even set up pre-inspection requirements for those civilians who whish to rent to soldiers, however that might be making it to strick. Unless of course they make it a requirement for soldiers to have the inspection prior to renting. Make it a BAH Requirement. Win, win for safe quarters that way. As soon as you lable something under safety its mandatory. As a former contract approving official in supply I’m vary sure about this.

1 Like

@jwhite27, what’s a “BAH Requirement”?

@bgromicko1
Basic Allowance for Housing
BAH is an allowance to offset the cost of housing when you do not receive government-provided housing. Your BAH depends upon your location, pay grade and whether you have dependents. BAH rates are set by surveying the cost of rental properties in each geographic location.

2 Likes