Unconventional Joists. Need Assistance

This is in a 4 car garage with a loft over the top. Quite a huge loft with a lot in it. There is no center beam where these joists overlap. This is about a 20’ span. It seems that they are relying on the sheer strength of the fasteners to keep everything together. Am I naive to something here? I have never seen anything built like this.

1 Like

Improper; mid span is the weakest point of the span, so no splice allowed. Refer it out to a framing carpenter or engineer.

As an edit, an engineer may be able to offer a solution or appropriate method to repair this issue. There may be ways to reinforce that splice.

3 Likes

They ripped out the fire separation, it was probably cracking due to settlement :wink:

1 Like

That looked like someone had stapled up white paper or a disposable tablecloth like material. Likely to make the ceiling more reflective. The upstairs is just an unfinished storage space with a ton of random garage sale garbage in it. Nothing was shifted and upstairs felt super solid for what was seen below.

Ahh…I see that now. Thanks. I agree with @msenty. That is going to hold up just fine…until it doesn’t.

Feeling solid is an observation I’d report, along with the splice.

Take a look at this link. This guy is not an engineer. Other than being a home inspector, I don’t know his full experience to offer this information:

Floor joist splices

I’d refer it out, no matter what.

Here’s an attic truss with a floor joist mid-span splice, something I recalled seeing. Different structural system than your free span floor joist, but an example of what is engineered:

It is a defect for sure . Since WE cannot tell them how to fix it , they will need an engineer to figure the needed supports .