Underground Service Conductors through Crawl Space Area

Originally Posted By: psabados
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/IMG_4500.jpg.JPG ]

The schedule 80 PVC was neatly cut at the inside of the footer. The conductors then ran on grade (gravel) over to the rear of dwelling.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/IMG_4501.jpg.JPG ]

Also note that the conductors are in direct contact with one of the support posts.
[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/IMG_4504.jpg.JPG ]

Over the exposed PVC water line, and the A/C line sets

Finally into the breaker box area from beneath

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/IMG_4506.jpg.JPG ]

Along with a few interior electrical conditions that were found this is being referred for additional evaluation by the licensed electrician. Sparky comments welcomed for repair recommendations

Thanks

Paul

Originally Posted By: dbozek

Mobile/manufactured homes comes under different codes, however, there should be a disconnect at the meter and the conductors must be protected from damage.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should and could do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

You will either need a disconnect before it goes under the MH or you need to bury it 24". An alternative is in pipe, under 2" of concrete.

Bear in mind if you use a disconnect this becomes a <4 wire> feeder and you make up the panel in the home as a sub. That is usually the way it is done in MHs. The panel may already be made up that way so you only have to remove the bonding jumper.

Originally Posted By: dbozek

There must be a means of disconnect located within 30 feet and visible from the mobile home. It cannot be attached to the structure either. Because it would be a main disconnect, it would require grounding as well. The service conductors must be protected from damage. A piece of sojw cord is typically used but if triplex is being used as in the above pic, the conductors must be protected from damage.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should and could do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

This is out of my area and I wondered about the disconnect on the mobile too so I went looking for the code rules.

550.32(A) Prohibits the service from being mounted to a "Mobile Home"

550.32(B) Allows the service to be mounted on a Manufactured Home if OK by the manufacturer.

But I do not know if the home in the picture is a "Manufactured Home" or a "Mobile Home" ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Bob Badger wrote:
But I do not know if the home in the picture is a "Manufactured Home" or a "Mobile Home"

In TX, they are one in the same. "Manufactured Home" is the PC way of describing the structure. "Mobile Home" means that the residents appeared on the Jerry Springer show at some point. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

pdacey wrote:
"Mobile Home" means that the residents appeared on the Jerry Springer show at some point. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

And now I know the difference.

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Paul:

A picture of the actual nameplate would be helpful.

If you can supply the information on that label, it will include the type of building, etc., and should have the signature or name of the inspecting agency.

![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/Picture%200231.jpg ]

Lower left breakers, 2 single pole 30 amp breakers for A/C.

No disconnect at meter on pole, approx 80' run to service panel.

Paul

I do not see a bonding screw or jumper.

Did you see one in person?

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Negative, no ground stake anywhere in or out of the crawl or at the pole.

No open ground readings also, used a sure test. Where is it picking up the ground?

Paul

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Short answer is the disconnect must be at the pole and a four wire ran to the ‘mobile home’.

Mike P.

Mike what about 550.32(B)?

Bob (AKA iwire)

ECN Discussion Forums

Mike Holt Code Forum

Bob

You always make me think. Note the above 'mobile' and your reference is to 'manufactured'.

Mike P. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

I did a number of these for the State of Florida. The difference between “mobile” and “manufactured” is HUD compliance. If it is not a HUD compliant building it is an RV or a trailer. That determines which NEC article you use. Lack of HUD compliance will also relieve the manufacturer from making it meet wind code. The last I heard there were no manufactured homes that could reside in most <any?> of the wind zones.

Greg

"That determines which NEC article you use"

No.
110.3(B) determines what I use.

Mike P.

110.3(B) tells you what to do with the parts you buy.

I wouldn’t trust the pamphlet that comes with a trailer to correctly determine what an AHJ will require to hook one up.

Most AHJs use the HUD certification or lack thereof to determine if this is a article 552 “trailer/RV” or a single family dwelling. A 552 trailer requires a post and a disconnect, the HUD can have the service brought directly to the home but it requires a ground electrode system at the home. The HUD unit may still have a post with a disconnect and a 4 wire feeder but it does require a ground electrode.

A non-HUD unit may or may not require an electrode at the trailer.

They do make “RVs” with >50a panels in them and “resident” parks around here can have 100a services on the post.