Unfamiliar

Originally Posted By: cpatterson1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is officially dubbed my week of unfamiliarity. Has anyone experience with checking a roof mounted solar hot water heater? Anything special I should know? AND

How about a Hot water Recirculation pump - is this test to turn it on - and see if hot water works OR is there more?

My new motto is....the more I know the more I find out I don't know.
![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Originally Posted By: away

Cheryl,

I can't help you on the solar systems, if I come across one I defer it to someone who knows about them. I only know they use the sun to heat the water. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

As for a recirc pump, one way to see if it is operating is to check for hot water at the furthest faucet from the water heater, if it is hot or relatively warm and heats up quickly chances are the pump is operational. This can be tricky if the pump is on a timer or if homeowner had just run the hot water at all the faucets right before you check.

Keep in mind that some brands are thermostatically controlled and may not have cooled enough to trigger the pump to run.

I think that check valves need to be installed on systems that have a return line (as opposed to the ones that use the cold water line to recirculate water back to the WH). At least I think I remember reading that somewhere here.

I would also see if there were shut off valves before and after the pump so that replacement or repair can be done without having to first turn off the water to the home and/or drain the lines.

And of course check the wiring for proper protection and installation as well as the plumbing connections.

--
Andrew Way
Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
www.keystoneinspections.com

Originally Posted By: cpatterson1

THanks for the validation Andrew, I was kinda thinking that too but since I have never inspected one, wanted some advice. Thanks a bunch.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Cheryl:

I have an Indirect Water-Heating System installed on my home with Glycol used as the circulating medium.

http://rehabadvisor.pathnet.org/sp.asp?id=17845

http://rehabadvisor.pathnet.org/sp.asp?id=17846

What type of Solar Water Heating System is it?

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: bking

On my recirc. system the return loop is sometimes 5-6 feet from the faucet so it is normal on some to not have instant hot water.

Also it should have check valves and this creates a need for a thermal expansion tank. My pump is on a timer and not used much. The plumber forgot the exp. tank and I had a tub faucet that was leaking and the TPR was dripping on a small under sink water heater. I installed an expansion tank and all was ok.

Originally Posted By: whandley

Cheryl;

Most of the domestic water heater circulating pumps I run into are made by Grundfos... It's a great pump system. Generates quite a bit of heat during normal operation. Check the casing for temperature. You should also be able to sense a slight vibration difference between on/off settings.

How's business?

"I travel the globe to protect my clients!"

Progressive Inspection Service
California Home Inspectors
Orange County Home Inspectors
www.progressiveinspection.com
(949) 499-8054 Orange/Los Angeles Counties
(760) 943-7552 San Diego/Riverside Counties

HUD/FHA Inspector ID #I078