Updated South Carolina Home Inspection Agreement

The following is a link to the latest home inspection agreement. It is regularly updated based on specific state laws, licensing board rules particular to each state, legal case histories, court rulings, consumer complaints, and insurance claims.

Many thanks to Attorney Joe Denneler, who has a practice that solely specializes in inspector issues, for his work on this project.

You can add this agreement to InterNACHI’s free online inspection agreement system. InterNACHI’s online inspection agreement is sign-able and legally binding. It allows the client to read and sign your agreement before you do the inspection.

1 Like

Hey Nick… question: I am an inspector in SC a and it is my understanding that the State SOP adopted aligns with ASHI as per the this email correspondence with the commission. Did they give me bad info? Am I able to adopt the InterNACHI a SOP?

CB
Contact - Residential Builders Commission
To: Jeffrey Van Camp
U
Contact - Residential Buil…
2/16/22
TO) RE: Standards of Practice For South Carol…
We adopted the ASHI standards if you click on
apply https:/lir.sc.gov/res/pub.aspx for a.
RE: Standards of Practice For South Carolina Home
Inspections
We adopted the ASHI standards if you click on apply https://lIr.sc.gov/res/
pub.aspx for a license and scroll to the bottom you will find the link.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Janet Baumberger, CPM
Administrator, Residential Builders Commission, Office of Board Services
NASCLA Immediate Past President,
NASCLA Executive Committee Member,
NASCLA Board of Directors Member,
NASCLA Model Legislation Committee Member,
SC Department of Labor Licensing and Regulation,
110 Centerview Drive, Columbia, SC 29210 (street address)
PO Box 11329, Columbia, SC 29211-1329 (mailing address)
Telephone: 803-896-4696
Fax: 803-896-4814
janet.baumberger@llr.Sc.gov
SCLLR
Making South Carolina a Safe Place to Work and Live

Yep. ASHI and InterNACHI and SC SOP are all about the same. That’s one good thing about our industry… we all agree on what we should be doing.

In regards to this however, the contract written by the lawyer for SC states that the inspection will be performed to the standard of InterNACH and not ASHI which is the standard used in SC. One main difference is InterNACHI does not require the opening of the main panel (removing the dead front) but the ASHI standard requires it. I have not compared all the paragraph’s but this one just stands out. I’m not sure I can use his contract as much as I would like to. Am I looking at this in the wrong light?

Because of safety issues, InterNACHI does not require you to remove the panel cover if you think it might be dangerous. I don’t think any SOP disagrees because there is language in every SOP that excludes doing anything that is dangerous.

2 Likes

I’ve compared the two SOP’s. ASHI states the inspector shall describe the interior of the electrical panel but does not state it’s a requirement to open the panel.

I took this to mean the components ‘inside’ the panel behind the cover. Am I reading too much into it?

No Jeffrey you are reading this correctly. I have seen some heavily corroded electric panels on the coast in South Carolina I do not open those panels. Use your own discretion but this portion of the ASHI SOP as far as I’m concerned entering a dangerous area is the same as exposing yourself to a dangerous component. I just report that the service panel was not opened for whatever the reason is.

Thanks Martin. I can imagine panels exposed to salty environment. Renting houses at the beach I’ve seen the weathering everything endures.

1 Like

Hey Jeffrey, I’m a new inspector in SC and I’m running into the same SOP question you mentioned. I’m curious did you end up using the InterNACHI SC one? Or did you have one made up stating you’d be following the SC SOP.

Thanks