Use of ladders to access main electrical panelboard

I am an Internachi student. For the inspection report assignment, I chose the sub-panel of my own home. I was not able to comfortably reach the dead front, so I used a step ladder. While reviewing my notes for the final exam, I read that using a ladder to inspect an electrical panel is not recommended, but no rationale was given. I am assuming this is because your balance is not equal to when your feet are directly on the floor, so this is an added risk? Also, I’m guessing that the correct answer to how would I inspect a panel that wasn’t safely within my reach on a real job, would be to defer for safety reasons? So, my question to those of you with experience is, how often is the electrical panel safely beyond your reach without the use of a ladder? I am a 5’7" woman, and if this is going to be a common problem, I want to be prepared with an alternative to deferral, and am open to suggestions on that. Thanks for any ideas.

1 Like

At 5’ 7”, you should be able to reach typical code compliant panelboard/breaker installations:

Section 404.8(A) of the 2011 NEC states that switches and circuit breakers used as switches must be capable of being operated from a readily accessible location. They must also be installed so the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, isn’t more than 6 ft 7 in. above the floor or working platform [240.24(A)].

From:

7 Likes

I am 6’2" and I generally don’t have this issue, but I DO from time to time!
That being said, I do not expect that you have any day-to-day issues either, but you WILL eventually have them!

First… Measure the height of the panel, including to the Disconnect. This will give you the “Code” as to whether there are issues, particularly on New Builds.

Second… Your Safety is always your first and highest priority when inspecting anything. If you do not feel SAFE, don’t do it and defer it for repair by a qualified, (and licensed if appropriate), tradesperson!

Third… Always use the proper Tools and PPE! We don’t get paid enough to risk our lives for anyone! If this job don’t kill us… your family may if you get injured by doing something stupid!!

Example: Regarding your situation with electrical panels… ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies

Note: Shop around for a better price, (shouldn’t be difficult as U-Line is like Grainger… High Priced), but always purchase QUALITY equipment. Cheap crap gives a false sense of safety, but many inspectors have been injured, even fatally, so NO shortcuts or going cheap!!
Hmm… perhaps you should just skip the ‘shopping around’ and go straight to the Quality Suppliers! Remember, you’re buying ‘Commercial Grade Work Tools’, not DIY Homeowner stuff.

Good luck. Stay Safe!

5 Likes

Great ladder suggestion. Thank you.

1 Like

The only thing I couldn’t safely reach, were the top screws of the panelboard. Guess I will just have to use my best judgement. I did use a platform type step ladder, but I really like the “shorty” one suggested by J Jonas. Thanks again.

This is why one of the “Code” measurements is to the TOP (and sides & beneath) the Panel… it is for Worker/Electrician/Inspector SAFETY!
Many Non-Licensed persons install a panel to the height that they feel is ‘good’ for the average Homeowner can reach the Disconnect, without regard to everything else needing attention!

I always leave the middle screws for last. So if you need a ladder to reach the top screws you don’t have to take the cover off or carry it down the ladder. When I put it back on I do the middle screws first, just don’t tighten the screws until you start all the screws. The ones I dislike the most is when there are stored items in front or a work bench or freezer…

16 Likes

What Randy said!

2 Likes

Most often I find a clothes washer or dryer in front of the panel space. End result is climbing on top of the washer/dryer to remove the dead front. If you are not comfortable with this simply disclaim it as obstructed. I also do like Randy and remove the middle screws last.

3 Likes

Related reading…

https://forum.nachi.org/t/ladder-safety-practices/226839

3 Likes

Hi, Mikah. Hope to find you well and in good spirits today.

Rationale? It is at the heart of the Sop.
1: Safety.
2: Limiting liability.

Low voltage, 120/240V Electrical current is dangerous period! It can be lethal! 240V is generally considered more dangerous. Why? Due to the fact that higher voltage can potentially lead to increased current flow. Hell, even 120V can cause serious injury or death under the right circumstances. The currents Path through the body or duration of time your body is being exposed. Your mussels freeze and you become stuck to the electrified object.

I do not remove dead fronts period although I might open an electrical enclosure.

Best of luck with your endeavors.

Anyone here noticing lag times when posting? There appears to be a 2 or 3 second lag time before my strings are posted or even logging into the MB in general.
I will PM fast reply.

For high service panels, I use a two step folding ladder that is helpful for other tasks. It’s a solidly built kitchen type folding ladder that is easy to carry around. Like said, remove the center screws last while standing on the floor. I have sat on a washer/dryer to inspect panels. I only remove the panel cover by pulling it straight out. If I have to twist it or slide it to the side first, I won’t remove it and disclaim the interior condition. Set your own limits that you feel safe with!

3 Likes

Likely related to the Forums changeover BS… AGAIN!!

https://forum.nachi.org/t/looks-like-its-time-to-dump-this-pos-forum-system-again/254420

1 Like

Here is a response from AI to this matter to help you out.

Safety Hazards

  1. Instability – A step ladder may not provide a stable base, increasing the risk of falling, especially when reaching or applying force.
  2. Balance Issues – Standing on a ladder while using tools or handling a panel cover can throw off your balance, heightening the risk of accidents.
  3. Risk of Electric Shock – If an accidental arc flash occurs, falling from the ladder can result in additional injuries beyond electrical burns.
  4. Improper Grounding – A person standing on a ladder may be more vulnerable to electrical shock depending on footwear and ladder material.
  5. Sudden Movements – If startled (such as by a loud noise or an unexpected arc), losing balance while on a ladder can be dangerous.
  6. Carrying a Panel Cover – Removing a panel cover while on a ladder increases the likelihood of dropping it, damaging equipment or injuring someone below.
  7. Code Requirements – According to the National Electrical Code (NEC) [240.24(A)], electrical panels must be installed so that switches and breakers are readily accessible, with a max height of 6 feet 7 inches from the floor. If a panel requires a ladder for access, it may not comply with proper installation standards.
  8. Liability & Inspection Protocols – Many inspectors and electricians choose to defer evaluation if an electrical panel is placed too high, reducing the risk of liability.
  9. Obstruction Concerns – Ladders require floor space, which may be restricted in utility rooms or areas with other equipment blocking access.
  10. Fatigue Factor – Prolonged standing on a ladder while inspecting components can lead to leg fatigue, impacting decision-making and reaction time.

Safer Alternatives

  • Use a platform step for increased stability.
  • Utilize a pole-mounted camera or other inspection tools.
  • If the panel placement is improper, defer the inspection and recommend repositioning or professional evaluation.
4 Likes

Likely so Jeffrey. Happens every now and then per year.
Good post and imbedded link by the way.

A paint can always seem to be sitting somewhere around the electrical panel and is the perfect height to step on while reaching the top screws. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

4 Likes

Al has certainly earned his keep. Ha,ha,ha, snicker! Who is Al anyway? Certainly, never worked from a ladder before, funny he never mentioned the TYPE of ladder.

2 Likes

Good Morning Mikah

I am 5’10" and I often find it difficult to reach the top fasteners on the main panel covers. While they are required to be accessible many times, I cannot reach the top fasteners. I usually remove the top fasteners first if I have to use something to step on. Never a metal ladder. Many of the older panels are located higher. My neighbor had her main panel replaced and it failed the first inspection because the panel was too high. The electrician placed it in the same hole as the one he removed. He later came back and built a wooden step in front of the panel, and it passed.
I would not tell you to step on something to reach the top panel cover screws, but it is common the panels are mounted high, and I have difficulty reaching the top fasteners.

True, and the best ones are half full 5 gallon buckets, full enough to have ballast, light enough to move around fast & easy.

4 Likes

Well, well… the TRUTH is finally coming out why so many HI’s are afraid to open electric panels, especially Federal Pacific Electric (FPE), Zinsco, and Challenger panels!!

1 Like