"V" cracks at post tension cable end.

Originally Posted By: jonofrey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/D/DSC05553.JPG ]

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

I’ve never seen it before. But I would guess that the cable was over tensioned or tensioned before the slab cured enough.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: cfuoco

It is also possible that maybe the builder or someone else was trying to set an anchor or shoot something into the concrete with a Hilti and they were to close to the edge. The force of the blow could have chipped that section out. This has happened to me before and it had that same “V” shape.

Originally Posted By: jpope

Hey John,

This is actually quite common when the anchor is not installed parallel to the slab edge. When the ram is placed on the cable and stressed, it will break the concrete just like that. The ram seats on the anchor and becomes perpendicular regardless of what's in its way.

Displacement of the anchor is usually due to the finisher stepping on the cable while pouring the concrete.

In short, it's cosmetic, not a big deal.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Thanks once again Jeff. Good call.

Inspection Nirvana!

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

I refer to this as “spalling.” Although it isn’t a huge issue with the PT anchor, there could be some long term issues. They dry pack the end of the cable to keep if from rusting out. My concern is that this would allow water to enter and rust the anchor.

Curtis

Originally Posted By: roconnor

I agree with Curtis that moisture may deteriorate the anchor … not a good thing with a P/T slab. I’m assuming it’s an isolated problem, so the cracking/spalling should be repaired by the builder and made watertight. Document the problem, and request follow up documentation of repairs.

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Great advice. Thanks.

Inspection Nirvana!

Originally Posted By: jpope

It seems that most of the pictures John posts show very poor sealing methods for the cable ends (that’s why I didn’t address it originally).

The best method for sealing these is to use permanent caps with grease packs that are hammered on. These require at least a two inch deep pocket. The pocket is then sealed with [a much less porous] grout than pictured in Johns photos.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738