VA inspections

Has anyone done any inspections for the VA? I have had realtors ask if I was VA certified? I have done plenty of inspections for active duty veterans and none of them have ever been kicked back? How do you get on the list, or is there such a thing ? or is it even necessary?

In WA, I don’t know anything about a “list”. I’ve done multiple inspections for clients with VA loans. The only difference I run into is that they always want the NPMA-33 for WDOs. However, we’re required to be licensed for WDOs up here, not sure about FL requirements.

I have been a VA inspector for many years.

Contact your local VA[FONT=Arial] administration and tell them that you want to conduct inspections for their office. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]There are many forms to fill out, criminal background checks, Certifications & Criteria to be met and an extensive written test. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Good luck! :p[/FONT]

In your opinion is it worth the time & effort?

I have been doing them for years, and have never had a problem, Based on where I’m at they to require the NPMA 33, I looked into going through the process but the time and effort was to great with little return. The buyers go through their local mortgage companies, so I just didn’t think it was worth my time.
Frank have you found it to be a financial success?

Kevin and Troy,
In all the years that I have been a “Code Compliance V. A. Inspector” I have never had a problem getting paid and or getting paid on time.
[FONT=Arial]Up here we get paid $150 per inspection to include each phase of any “draw inspection”. Some new homes can have as many as eight inspections before completion. {NOTE: Banks pay up to $250.00} [/FONT]

Some banks pay as much as $150 to $250 per draw inspection so yes I believe it is a “financial success”.

  • Some of you receive phone calls from “middle eastern speaking people” requesting you to conduct $20-$30 “draw inspections”. :roll:

These same people* are receiving* the $150-$250 from the banks who just can’t seem to find qualified/certified inspectors!

Once the VA knows that you are a qualified and certified inspector you will permitted to fill out the application forms, the criminal background investigation forms and to take their written exam.
{My exam was 200 questions long.}

Once all of this is completed I strongly urge you to go to each and every bank in your area and speak to the person in charge of approving “Construction / Remodeling / Repair & Renovation Loans” and get on their “VA Approved List of inspectors for new construction and or Draw Inspections!

  • You could wind up doing ALL of the banks “New Construction loan inspections”.!

There are “different types” of the VA inspectors. I am a “Code Compliance Inspector” and I specialize in “The Americans with Disabilities Act" {ADA} type inspections.

For this type of inspection you not only have to know all of the building codes but you also have to know the ADA/handicap requirements and codes.

I urge you become ICC Certified.

Good Luck! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Frank,
Great info.
I am Certified through the Ohio Dept. of Agri for the bug inspections here. They use the NPMA-33 form. I include them with every home inspection.

Is the NPMA cert you mentioned a State or National cert?

Hi Kevin,
I was told that it is a National Certification.

The presenter was Dr. George Rambo! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Frank

Thanks Frank - I will be contacting my local VA office to check into this.
I appreciate all the info.:slight_smile:

Just contacted my local VA office & they are getting back with me to talk with a gentleman in Cincinnati to get set up for testing.:slight_smile:

The Lady I talked with told me she was acually involved with creating the test. I told her I had passed the NHIE & she said “well wait to you see our test - hahaha”. :shock:

Wasn’t quit sure how to take that but it did send a small shiver up my spine.:mrgreen:

Many Thanks Frank!!

I suggest that you and all others who want to conduct VA inspections review ALL of the material that you used for the NHIE and re-take the NACHI test at least 8 to 10 times.

I would also urge you to take ALL of the “Free” NACHI on line courses.

  • My test was 200 questions long and it was a “doozy”
  • You will need to know the building Codes.
  • I have EVERY Code book that the ICC publishes.

I also suggest that at a minimum you buy the ICC “Loose Leaf” version with {Turbo Tabs} of both the International Residential {IRC} & International Building Code {IBC} books {with commentaries}.

Once you are ICC Certified this will open a LOT of doors for you. You can conduct VA {Federal}, City & State Inspections all over the nation.
I highly recommend it!

Good Luck! :stuck_out_tongue:

You are more than welcome. I hope that this information was of some use to you.

Good Luck!:stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds intense. I hope this is a lifetime cert.
For the Ohio Dept. of Agri I have to attend an 8 hour class every 3 years.

Sounds as though it may be worth it.

[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Intense?:shock: … You Bethca!:shock:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]As long as you keep all of your “Outside” Certifications “current” and fulfill your yearly continuing education requirements you will be okay.[/FONT]

I say “Go for it”!:stuck_out_tongue: