Venting of natural gas stoves in the kitchen

Must a natural gas stove be vented in the kitchen? If so how. I would I find the code requirements?

David,

This is from Bob HarperI believe he sums it up nicely.

No requirement under the IRC. FYI, ANSI Stds. allow up to 800ppm carbon monoxide from ranges. And you just thought it was the tryptophan in the turkey making you sleepy.

As previously stated, “when installed and operating properly”… Tell me when you find that. These things have a horrible track record for CO production.

Failure to ventilate the kitchen can lead to what appears to be black soot all over the house. I’ve gotten lab reports back that the black stuff is charred food particles stuck to soybean cooking oil. All because of no ventilation.

If they ventilate, then it should comply with ASHRAE 62.2 for MUA. Whoever sucks air out of a home is responsible for providing MUA to replace it. Otherwise, uncompensated exhaust fans can depressurize the home and backdraft atmospherically vented appliances. These fans don’t always capture all the aerosolized byproducts of cooking but they are pretty good at backdrafting open fireplaces.

Bob

Mine: Now if you are talking of a heating “stove” that could be an entirely different story.
Gas “range” is for cooking.
This all applies to residential grade equipment

Commercial grade:
**2006 IRC **G2447.2 (623.2) Prohibited location.
Cooking appliances designed, tested, listed and labeled for use in commercial occupancies shall not be installed within dwelling units or within any area where domestic cooking operations occur.

hth

Like everything else that has combustion, they produce Caron Monoxide.

Every winter the experts warn you not to use your stove or oven to heat the home for a reason.

The only difference here is that when cooking , you do not leave the oven on 24 hours a day , where it can build up to dangerous levels.

Sure there may be a range hood , but is it ventless?