Vermiculite in attics

Originally Posted By: jrabanus
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello everyone,

Does anyone enter an attic that has Vermiculite insulation? I have been doing some reading on the subject and I am wondering if my health would be at risk.

Josh Rabanus

Originally Posted By: tallen

You need to get a high quality particulate mask. 15-45 bucks

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Josh,

It's good to own a mask. But when you see vermiculite, just don?t touch it, stir it or disrupt it in any way. If it does contain asbestos, the fibrous particles will easily float within the attic and can penetrate your respiratory system.
I just tell my client that Vermiculite may contain asbestos and not to disturb the attic area. If they?re concerned, they can always have it tested.

If you observe a whole house fan in this situation (which I have), advise your client against using this fan until the Vermiculite has been tested for asbestos.
![](upload://whFN55WW63aNzLg7r432MMrOk7g.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jrabanus

Thanks alot guys. I got a mask from the days when I tore down houses. So that will work just fine.

Josh Rabanus

Originally Posted By: hgordon

Quote:
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) offices have received a large number of phone calls from citizens concerned about vermiculite insulation in their home that might be contaminated with asbestos. EPA is gathering more information about vermiculite insulation and other products containing vermiculite. If you suspect vermiculite insulation is in your home, the safest thing is to leave the material alone. If you decide to remove or must otherwise disturb the material due to a renovation project, consult with an experienced asbestos contractor. The following information provides a common-sense approach to help you find out what kind of insulation is in your home and decide what to do if you have vermiculite insulation.

http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/insulation.html

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

it's funny how this topic gets going in several locations at the same time, here is a slide that I use with my enviromentals course that may help. As far as I know and I may be wrong there was only one mine that has been proven to have had Asbestos content in its vermiculite, anyway here is the story

![](upload://58s44lNvkaBXqika5D8TFkkaaZ7.jpeg)

I just found while loading this that I have posted this before, sorry to those who have allready seen it.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: hgordon

You are correct Gery!

Harvey Gordon

SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President

hgordon@fl.nachi.org