Virginia

Originally Posted By: Danny Armstrong
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The state of Virginia has inacted a voluntary certification program that began July 1, 03.

As of this writing, there is no testing facility in Virginia. I'm wondering if any of the NACHI Virginia members have attained the certification yet?

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Yes, I filled out and submitted their VA DOPR forms under alternate way.

Nick

Originally Posted By: cfisher

My application went in the mail today. Since this is voluntary, it doesn’t look like many are taking advantage.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

I would strongly recommend that all our members doing business in the state of Virginia, take advantage of the states volunteer certification program, for 2 reasons, the first one being it sets you apart from the rest of your competition who can't be bothered to do it, the second reason is that if the state decides somewhere down the line to enact full licensing, guess who is going to have fewer problems with grandfathering ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

I would like to reiterate Gerry’s comments.

Voluntary requests generally become mandated requirements. I would hope that all NACHI Virginia Inspectors get involved and active with this.

Early inclusion can present NACHI as the most pro-active.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Nick,

Sure, go ahead!

Fred Simmermon
----- Original Message -----
To: Fred Simmermon
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 9:59 PM
Subject: Re: VA legislation

Wow. Thank you so much! Can I post your offer on our message board in case VA inspectors have questions? Nick
----- Original Message -----
To: nick.gromicko@nachi.org
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 9:28 PM
Subject: VA legislation

Nick,

Would be glad to give your meeting an update on home inspector certification in Virginia. I was one of the home inspector members on the regulation writing committee and currently serve on the Virginia Association of Real Estate Inspectors board. I stay fairly close to the certificqation process and can explain the ins and outs of the program. I am a semi-retired home inspector but not an attorney.

let me know if I can help.

Fred Simmermon

PS. I can probably explain some of the twists and turns the regulation process took to get where it is today.

Fred Simmermon can be reached at hptw@infionline.net

Still trying to get the VA certification. Seems that no one at VA DPOR can tell me if NACHI is recogniozed. You would think that since it’s voluntary it wouldn’t be such a pain in the %$#. icon_idea.gif Can anyone help ???

Originally Posted By: Ken Jessop

Charles,

Seems I am not the only one trying to find out this information regarding Virginia. I have been through the website for the DPOR several times now and am unable to find much information that is pertinent or helpful. I plan on joining Nachi in the next couple of weeks, but the certification through Virginia appears to be a pain. I have not yet found any associations through DPOR that are acceptable. Any information would be very helpful.
Thanks ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)
Ken Jessop

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Does anyone know if theres someplace online you get the registration info.

Info can be found at www.state.va.us/dpor

Originally Posted By: Ken Jessop

Hey everyone interested in Virginia Legislation… I did some research and dug through old minutes from the DPOR site and found that they declined to allow the Nachi tests as an equivalent. They turned it down in the meeting minutes for the 4th of last November. It takes a bit of digging through the site, but can be found. That is not a good thing for us.

![](upload://xDwFUv0ukP5YLVJyWZpfjCfGcq7.jpeg)

www.state.va.us/dpor

I bit the bullet and took the state required exam. It’s offered in most larger cities, costs $195 and consists of 200 questions. Any home inspector should be able to pass. I was hoping for DPOR to recognize the NACHI test so we could save some $$$. Better get certified now while it’s voluntary. From what I am seeing with other states, it may be very hard to get certification when it’s required.

Received my VA certification this week. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Is my understanding correct that the VA certification requires classroom training?

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Va requires documentation of formal training. Doesn’t have to be classroom. Correspondence courses were acceptable as long as you have documentation from the provider that states the number of hours. VA DPOR is also very specific about testing requirements. I grumped about all of this in the beginning but it has turned out very positive for me.

Originally Posted By: ddivito

VA certification requires

-hrs of classroom education.

-pass the the NHIE (ASHI’s test)

-or have 10 years experience in the industry or belong to and association whose membership requirements meet the states requirements.

-Carry $250,000 in generall liability insurance (not E&O)

At $25 for certification lasting 2 yearts and no continued education requirement, its a steal for the great advertising boon it gives.

Originally Posted By: Rick

I have tried e-mailling a few members but have not received a response. So I am posting this question to the general board. Hopefully I will receive a response to help me in attaining VA certification.

As I read the VA code it says that mandatory contact time (classroom or one-on-one instructor training) is required before a individual will be allowed to take the VA certification exam. How do I get this “contact time” or is it really mandatory and not voluntary as some have stated here on this board? Thanks in advance for your time and assistance. Rick

Originally Posted By: Tony Creonte

All,

I’m looking at getting into the home inspection business.

Looking at the requirements for obtaining a certification for VA, you require classroom training as well as a number of home inspections-- 50 to 100. If your just starting out in the business, is there any training that may waive the number of home inspections required??

Thanks, Tony

Originally Posted By: ddivito

Contact hours are hours in a classroom. You can go to ITA in Manassas. They give great courses there. Correspondence courses are not accepted for education credit.

The NHIE test is the only test that is recognized. It is given in various places statewide. www.nhie.org You can take the test either before or after the classroom time. I found it a great way to prepare for the test by taking it right after I finished my 70 hours in the classroom.

The only way you get around the number of inspections requirement is if you had previously been in the business for ten years and you can prove it. Either work out of an established HI's office or just go out and do it to get your 50. If you are in an urban area the 50 will come quickly.

Become certified!
Follow the state standards of practice!
Join VAREI!
You are after all an inspector in Virginia!

Originally Posted By: adirienzo

The problem with the Virginia law is that many or maybe all Virginia

counties require you to have the Virginia state certification before they

will issue a license to do business in that county. This makes it hard to

get the minimum of 50 inspections if you are new to the business. Any

suggestions out there.