Virus found in aninspect emails

Originally Posted By: jmyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Just to let everyone know, I have been getting tons of emails returned as undelieverable because of viruses found in them.

I DO NOT send out emails with attachments to anyone that does not request something from me. DO NOT OPEN any email from me unless you requested something from me.

I have not been sending anyone emails, although someone grabbed hold of my email address from aninspect, so if you get anything you know it did not come from me. I don't typically use this account for anything other than web requests and if you do get emails from me it will most likely be sent from the anii.biz account.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Joe,

I had a similar thing happen a few months back, and it turned out that my computer was infected with the Klez virus. I ran a virus scan and it cleared it out. More info at www. fsecure.com.

Blaine,

Thanks for the thought but I check my computer for viruses at least every other week. I know that my computer is not infected at this time but the last email that was returned to me came back with an address header of none other than Erby. I certainly did not send him any mail but I have noticed that this latest virus is picking up email addresses from web sites. Prior to this my web site link on the BB was messed up and returning the user to the nachi home page. Once I fixed that link, the virus has now picked up my email accounts which can only be found on my web site, in particular the aninspect account since it is not published anywhere else.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: dvalley

![](upload://CY5GqKy71V7dPOzyIRs66EvWCN.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

David, I hate when this happens also

Originally Posted By: awong

David/Kevin,

Good Joke, all my members call to say they wanted to kill me because I copy/paste and send both by emails to them !!!!!!!!! Oh my god! can my two attorney sue me for this?

--
Andy Wong
Singapore Chapter
www.singapore.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: dvalley

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

If anyone here is getting those viruses, you can be pretty certain your computer is not infected with their virus as long as you keep getting them in your email.

What you want to watch for is when they stop sending them because that usually means you are already infected. That does not mean others will not send you a virus, just a warning that once they stop sending them the program actually picks up your address is already infected and they will spend more of their time and energy infecting someone that is not infected yet. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Kevin,

I like the one which states windows has been working perfectly for the last ten minutes and needs to reboot. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

You could probably expand that to say, windows has determined it has been working perfectly for the previous 24 hours and you will need to shut down your computer and reinstall the operating system upon start up! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I think I have it, but I’ve run the latest Norton virus definitions, the worm finder for the new worm, and it comes up saying ‘Not found’, but still … I think my computer has it?

Jerry Peck

South Florida

Jerry, yeck go to the norton site and check what they say about it, Kp

Jerry,

The symatec site has a removal tool that will get rid of it, if you indeed have it. If it does not find anything to remove, it certainly will not hurt you to run it. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.novarg.a@mm.removal.tool.html

Good luck!

Joe Myers

Ok in all seriousness, I am somewhat of a computer geek, most people install av software and never update it, I use Norton and have it set for updates, and check it anyway at least once a week, you should all do it also, I also use zone alarm for my firewall, it’s free so there is no reason for not using it, I have tried others, in my book it is the best, tried zone alarm pro ( got to by it ) but I found it caused problems for me, jmho, Kp

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

I assume everyone received my e-mail about the MyDoom/Novarg Virus? Essentially, it spoofs the “from” address, making it look like it came from people who it didn’t. I’ve received undeliverable mail sent from e-mail accounts that don’t exist @nachi.org (ie. John@nachi.org). Unless you’re expecting an attachment from someone, and the content of their e-mail makes sense, don’t open any files attached to e-mails. As Kevin said, keep your Virus Definitions updated, and you should be ok.

Chris Morrell

Director of Information Technology

http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://iOlVzHHg4NO0s77R1DlcEo6kGz3.html)

Chris,

Is it spoofing the IP address too, or just the email address? I noticed that while it was spoofing my email address, the IP address was not mine.

Joe Myers