VIRUS WARNING

Originally Posted By: psisler
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

To ALL NACHI members and Visitors:

There is a virus going around. I know it may have been mentioned before but I talked with the FED on the phone today about it. If you receive an e-mail from:
Department@cia.gov,fbi.gov (some tool companies)(contractor companies)etc with an attchment DO NOT OPEN IT.
The file contains the W32.Sober.X@mm Virus sent in the !zip file.

I know some might say I have protection but this file will get into your anti-virus software (symantec,McAffee etc..) and not allow you to update any anti-virus or security technical information.

I have been working on this most of the day and have run all the programs to delete it. SYMANTEC has the tool available if you need it.
(symantec.com) if you have Norton go to Anti-Virus-Reports-Virus encyclopedia and get the info on the web.

The person I spoke with said they are close to nailing this SOB. Hope this helps all.

Regards,

Patrick

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Based on the undeliverable mail in my inbox lately, someone has been mailing that virus using my email addy to all kinds of realtors, etc.

Don’t people have better things to do? icon_evil.gif

Originally Posted By: jpope

kmcmahon wrote:
Based on the undeliverable mail in my inbox lately, someone has been mailing that virus using my email addy to all kinds of realtors, etc.

It appears that the NACHI email database has been hijacked. Any computer that has no virus protection has been infected and the virus is being sent from those addresses.

Look further into them Kevin and you'll see the origin of the emails. I've been getting 30 to 40 a day from inspection companies and Realtors/agents. . .

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

http://www.sonicwall.com/

Originally Posted By: dduffy

jpope wrote:
kmcmahon wrote:

It appears that the NACHI email database has been hijacked. Any computer that has no virus protection has been infected and the virus is being sent from those addresses.

Look further into them Kevin and you'll see the origin of the emails. I've been getting 30 to 40 a day from inspection companies and Realtors/agents. . .

Jeff,

I have been forwarding all mine to McAfee and spoke with them on the phone trying to figure how to block the URLS they are coming from.

As of tonight, no word back from them. But that is where the Hacker got the email addresses from----- right here.

They all go to my bulk mail but I still wouldn't click anything related to NACHI in any mail box....now and in the Future.

Today--- aimee@nachi.org----admin@nachi.org----admin@pa.nachi.org

Dale,

The email from Aimee is legit'. You can open that one.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Jeff, I believe the Aimee address is faked, Aimee's address is aimee.Jalowsky@nachi.org

Regards

Gerry

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

bkelly2 wrote:
http://www.sonicwall.com/

Have not seen a one yet.

I don’t think soooooo.

I wouldn't click on a email from the head-cahoonaaaa here.

Her email probably is legit though. I take a chance at black-Jack once in a while, that's about it.

When it's time to renew membership, they better send me a letter, and I might not open it either. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Hello everyone,

One of the down-sides of having such a connected group of members is that when one or two members gets a e-mail virus, it can spread through the NACHI community like wildfire. I can assure you that this worm is not in any way related to the minor security breach we had on the message board, nor have any of our e-mail lists been compromised.

The W32.Sober.X@mm virus will scan an infected computer for e-mail addresses in any number of files (from recently browsed Web sites to Access databases or Word documents). It then sends itself out to every collected e-mail address (skipping a few that might give it away) spoofing its "FROM" address. This means that the worm could appear to come from someone you know (when it actually hasn?t).

The bottom line is SIMPLY DO NOT OPEN ATTACHMENTS YOU AREN'T EXPECTING. Even if they're from someone you know. If you get an unexpected attached file from someone you know, e-mail them back and verify that they actually sent it.

If you don?t have anti-virus software, please download an install either AVG Free http://free.grisoft.com or Avast! Antivirus http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html .

Stay safe,

gbeaumont wrote:
Jeff, I believe the Aimee address is faked, Aimee's address is aimee.Jalowsky@nachi.org

Regards

Gerry

You could be right Gerry. I didn't look at the address, but I got the convention PDF file from her today.

I'm not worried about catching the virus, I'm well protected. My system won't allow me to open infected files.

Webmaster wrote:
Hello everyone,

I can assure you that this worm is not in any way related to the minor security breach we had on the message board, nor have any of our e-mail lists been compromised.

Sure is odd the emails started the same day the site here was Hacked wouldn't you say Chris.

Chris, would you please remove my address and website from this system.

Since we still cannot edit our profiles.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Admin@cia.gov

Chris has posted two freebie Antivirus sites. Here is one more.
![](upload://me4MtRe3nGBGET8vgZY42XGj9kl.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

dduffy wrote:
Webmaster wrote:
Hello everyone,

I can assure you that this worm is not in any way related to the minor security breach we had on the message board, nor have any of our e-mail lists been compromised.

Sure is odd the emails started the same day the site here was Hacked wouldn't you say Chris.

Quote:
Chris has posted two freebie Antivirus sites. Here is one more.

McAfee blocked them from my computer.....with a quick download for my personal firewall...I have never had to call them in the last four years using their virus protection...never had one problem...on a message board for 30 days, bingo.

The Hacker who did not ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) compromise the message board....now that is a good one.