Voice Recognition Software

What do you use and how do you like it?

I wish this place would have a moron recognition something or other…lol

Mic

Linas,
I use one; Dragon Naturally Speaking (ver 9). I just finished up 4 reports in about 4 hours (that included stopping for lunch and a couple of breaks). I just loaded this version on my new laptop and it takes it a while to learn your voice, inflections, accents but it rocked along pretty nice. You just have to be a little patient and learn how to use it and it gets better the more you use it. Hope that helps.

Thanks Doug, I read RR’s posts about it and found it for a good price at Amazon and look forward to Tuesday for it’s delivery. This can pay for itself in one day’s worth of pecking away at the keyboard. I thought RR was good at keyboarding and finally realized he was rambling on into a mic and sucking down a margarita on Black Beach.

You are welcome. Do yourself a favor, get a good microphone. The el cheapos are not worth the aggravation or the discomfort when wearing it.

Thanks Doug,
I’ll get a good headset.

On RR suggestion Tried Dragon 8, tried it again, and tried it again…if I want to do a report, I do it myself…much faster…sitting on my shelf now collecting dust. JMO

MORON ALERT…MORON ALERT

[size=2]hows that Mic?:mrgreen:
[/size]

Well, I am good at keyboarding. I used to type over 300 words a minute and did 358 (I think it was) in a 5-minute typing test (standard for the time) with one error–I misspelled my name. I can still type 100 words a minute with no errors, but I just can’t do it for very long. I do my best typing at 2:30 in the morning after a hot, hot shower while The Beatles are playing on the CD player.

After I had totally destroyed my fingers by typing so fast and so hard for decades (I started typing when I was 5), and, of course, playing the piano and the violin, I found it painful to type for an extended period of time. A very good friend, now the Director of Texas A&M University’s Center for New Ventures and Entrepreneurship, recommended VRS, Dragon Naturally Speaking specifically.

The first time I used it was frustrating, really frustrating. It made more errors than the vote counters in red states. But I stuck with it and it learned. Just like formerly red voters in formerly red states. I now could not do without it.

I have it on many computers, each one set to recognize a specific voice. For example, my main computer recognizes my common voice. My secondary computer recognizes my two-margarita voice. My tertiary computer recognizes by cold/flu voice.

My main computer now has about 99.5% accuracy after two years, far better than I could ever do at this stage if I were typing. And since I talk fast, I get so much done. I know it causes jealousy, envy, spite, hate, and shallowness among some people here because I’m able to help so much while still have very profitable businesses with employees, but that’s their problem, not mine.

Nonetheless, I have V8 and am apprehensive about upgrading to V9 because I don’t want to take the chance of having to make it learn again. I’m quite satisfied with 99.5% accuracy.

Whenever you’re reading my posts at NACHI and find a typo, it’s because I went to edit something manually–change a word, change a sentence, etc.–and screwed it up. There are times when one can simply go do an edit rather than telling the program to open all the menus, etc. But keyboard shortcuts also come in very, very handy.

If you think it will work overnight, no. It’s kind of like marketing. You’ll have to bop it over the head 20 times before it will listen to you. :mrgreen: . However, if you are a start-up with little business, I highly recommended getting VRS now so that you have time to work with it. And then, even though it seems slow, don’t give up. Keep working with it. By the time you get really, really busy, you won’t know that you’re really, really busy because you’ll be getting so much done with VRS!

Ta-Da!

So you used to think that I would actually type long posts like that, huh? Ha! :mrgreen:

The el cheapos, such as the one that comes with DNS, are okay if one is in a perfectly quiet office with no interruptions from anyone. If you want to listen to The Beatles, or have the dialogue on while watching Star Trek, or expect to be constantly interrupted by the barking dogs and meowing kitty cats, or expect the kids and spouse/domestic partner/significant other to come bop bop bopping in, then definitely get a better microphone.

Kevin’s the only one I know of who didn’t have success with it.

Thanks
RR and everybody else.

Whe Stephen, I feel better now:D

Joy to the world, all the boys and girls…la-de-da-de-da

Mic

Anyone have a recommendation on the best microphone? Also, is a wireless mic available?

Hi Steve,

DNS recommend this wireless headset: http://www.microphones.com/microphone.cfm?URLID=TalkproB150-GTX you will also need a bluetooth enabled computer or a bluetooth USB dongle.

Regards

Gerry

I started with DNS version 8 a couple of years ago and yes it took it a while to learn and was slow in the beginning. On occasion it even would hang up but that is it going through the learning process. However, I was offered an upgrade at a really low price and took the chance. The computer saved all my old files so the learning curve for version 9 was basically non-existent. Like I said, spring for a good microphone and avoid some of the aggrevation in the early stages of developing the voice library. RR is right about interruptions, background noise, etc. DNS is easily tripped up in the very early stages while it trying to learn your voice. It is after all voice recognition software. I have an accent and have noticed certain words take longer to learn. There are all kinds of little tricks for the operator to learn as well that makes it work better and faster. It is not just a speak and it will type it program. It will also do voice commands functions like “cut” and “paste”, etc. I got the idea to just open a Word document and just read from an article or book to help the system learn quicker. I did not have to think about what I was saying, just reading it. Most people try to go too slow. Reading in a normal pace worked very well and the system picked up very quickly.

Indeed-o. That’s-o where-o most-o people-o fail-o in-o getting-o VRS-o to-o learn-o their-o voice-o. :margarit:

If your moving your program to another computer, copy the voice files with the new install. You can do it on install with Dragon or you can add it later after the first short training session (in any program.

Always keep a good copy on hand.
If you leave the program in the training mode, it may update your recording after you had a few margaritas and you won’t be able to work unless your drunk! :slight_smile:

I have used IBM for many years (got a good deal on it) and changed to Dragon. Dragon currently is the best for me.

I can dictate my reports driving back to the office. It does not pick up all the crap in the background like all programs did in the past.

It is quicker to dictate than look up an auto text or cut/paste. It will also be an entry pertinent to the inspection your working on. I still use all the cut/paste for the long follow up stuff you throw in, explaining why a deficiency is substantial ect.

I got my DNS today and just trained it and everything looks fine but I promise I will not leave any rambling posts.Thanks again for your suggestions.