Walking a roof slope - how steep?

I went to a carpet store and got some samples fo rubber backed carpet to put my ladder on as well as tying it off on top. I made a huge difference.

Try it! :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks Larry, I will give it a try!

2 Likes

I used to be a framer so it doesn’t bother me to negotiate some fairly steep roofs to get a birds eye view. Most people carry a good bit of fear around with them so I wouldn’t advise them to walk anything above a 7 pitch. A metal roof can be pretty slick…almost like a slide in a playground…so you might want to dial it back a bit…LOL…When I was framing occasionally there were people who just could not overcome their fear…on the outside they looked pretty capable…but the fear was there and so I kept them on the ground…whether young or old if you’re scared don’t do it.

3 Likes

6 or 7/12 - clean and dry roof. Only when necessary, and reachable with my 16’ ladder.

2 Likes

I would say “Whatever you are comfortable with”. If I’m not comfortable, I then use my drone.

2 Likes

Great idea Larry.

Damaging or marring the roof edge or gutter is a problem.

I have had success with foam pipe insulation. Any hardware or box store carry it. Cut to length and you’re good to go.

4 Likes

Thanks, Scott.

I forgot your idea with the foam pipe insulation. It DOES work great. :+1:

1 Like

I use pool noodles.

3 Likes

But what about the “Survey” ? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Leave it to our local “beach bum” to figure this one out…J/K

:stuck_out_tongue: Those things come in handy for a lot of things. :wink:

1 Like

I too am curious about the results of the survey. Is this for research or something? Maybe the OP is with the insurance company? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

24" x 12" was my maximum slope…honest. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Good idea! But, they didn’t have those back in my day…LOL!..at least, I don’t remember that they did…what’s your name, again?

2 Likes

200w

1 Like

Scott remembers :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A drone can’t check if this chimney cap is loose on this crumbling brick chimney above this 12:12 metal roof when it’s raining. Will the drone find loose fasteners (maybe) of feel spongy decking? Will it find loose flashing around the chimney?
Do you climb up and inspect it, or do you disclaim it due to height or steepness or weather? There is no wrong answer. Be safe out there.

I really want to make this point clear… I’m not suggesting that anyone else try this. I have many years experience climbing tall things. I just wanted to offer a counterpoint to some other responses and give Amiclar a more well rounded sample of what some other inspectors do. I am fully aware that this is pushing the limits of sanity.

4 Likes

Burt, that is one roof that definitely would compel me to use a harness. I appreciate your input and I like your patriotic gloves. Are you wearing cougar paws boots?

Definitely using cougar paws . Safety first👍

1 Like

For me, disclaim as drone-inspected (limitation) and note many visible deficiencies requiring repair by a professional. I’m not really afraid of falling, just the sudden stop at the end, lol.

6 Likes

OP is not with an insurance co. I framed the question in the context of a survey to try and confine responses as best as possible to the objective of the question. I’m a new member and I quickly noticed that home inspectors on these forums have a tendency of going off into the weeds of things when questions are not clearly articulated. And even when they are, some characters still can’t seem to help themselves from debating nuances. If I were conducting a true survey, I would probably ask for more information such as inspector’s age, weight, experience, location and number of roof inspections to name a few. The reader or participant should not expect an executive summary of findings.

1 Like