Wall Insulation??

Originally Posted By: kwitchey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi All!!

I have received all call from my local Housing Authority about doing inspection for a new Mortgage program that they will be offering. One of the requirements pertains to exsisiting homes, They want to know if the wall cavities are filled with insulation or not. I don’t know how they expect me to answer that. I don’t have X-ray vision. Any Ideas? I already performed a search of the message board and came up empty.

Thanks in advance for any help
Kent Witchey

P. S. I am looking for non - invasive ways

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

Kent, Unless you’re Clark KENT, Try this. Remove a switch or outlet wallplate and look around it. Sometimes you can see the insulation in the wall.

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: kwitchey

William,

I been called that before but I don’t think that a name will help!!

I thought the same I don’t see any other way. i think it is a case of some one behind a desk with no idea writing requirements for loans–imagine that!!

Thanks! for the response.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Maybe this table would help if you were take temp readings and calculate it out.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Sorry, Lets try this again

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: John Murray

kwitchey wrote:
Hi All!!
I have received all call from my local Housing Authority about doing inspection for a new Mortgage program that they will be offering. One of the requirements pertains to exsisiting homes, They want to know if the wall cavities are filled with insulation or not. I don't know how they expect me to answer that. I don't have X-ray vision. Any Ideas? I already performed a search of the message board and came up empty.

Thanks in advance for any help
Kent Witchey

P. S. I am looking for non - invasive ways

I like William's idea with the wallplate/recepticle removal. You will need to a long screwdriver to probe for insulation. The only accurate way to tell besides poking holes, is to do a thermographic inspection. That will cost $. You could refer them to an engineer that has that equipment. I have not tried this but, you might be able to user a stud sensor. Test it on a wall that does not have insulation and then on one that does. Either it is going to think that the insulation is a stud or it will pick up the stud with less indication than a non insulated wall. This alone would probably not be conclusive but, may give you an idea wheather or not to remove a wallplate.You could also check with the local fire inspector to see if he/she can give you any tips.

Originally Posted By: rsummers

John they make tools to estimate R-Values thru walls I have 1 and it dose work. There has to be a min Temperature difference of 20 degrees between walls and 7 or 8 different things you have to do to complete the test. I got mine from another HEERS rater who had it for years and couldn’t figure out how to use it. This tool is 24 years old and still works properly I’ve checked it against walls that I knew were R-19 and after following the instructions came up with the same R Value. The Manufacturer is Linear Laboratories. It was bought from Energy Works Ltd 305 E Jefferson Ave Englewood, Co 80010. The phone # 303-762-0676. This business may not be there any more so good luck icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Use a non-conductive probe of some kind not a screwdriver.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

rsummers wrote:
John they make tools to estimate R-Values thru walls I have 1 and it dose work. There has to be a min Temperature difference of 20 degrees between walls and 7 or 8 different things you have to do to complete the test. I got mine from another HEERS rater who had it for years and couldn't figure out how to use it. This tool is 24 years old and still works properly I've checked it against walls that I knew were R-19 and after following the instructions came up with the same R Value. The Manufacturer is Linear Laboratories. It was bought from Energy Works Ltd 305 E Jefferson Ave Englewood, Co 80010. The phone # 303-762-0676. This business may not be there any more so good luck

Thanks for the reference!
It sounds as if the test is rather lenghty??

ekartal wrote:
Use a non-conductive probe of some kind not a screwdriver.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

I usually use a Klein insulated screwdriver when working with electric,
would that work as well?

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Yeah it would John, but there are many newcomers here that may think probing around behind a receptacle with a metal object is OK.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

ekartal wrote:
Yeah it would John, but there are many newcomers here that may think probing around behind a receptacle with a metal object is OK.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Erol,
I am a "newcomer". In fact I am a very new comer (haven't even began studying to be certified, yet)! I figure if someone is willing to take off a receptacle cover, they have to know that there is juice behind it and can harm them. If not, they have no business working with electric in the first place! Just an opinion. ![icon_surprised.gif](upload://57CELbNgOav4I8DdysEp4jSUiyx.gif)
BTW, I think children are taught about minor electricity hazards in grade school (Fingers/metal objects in sockets, etc.).