Wallboard behind shower insert

What kind of wall board would you expect to see between a three piece shower/tub insert and the exterior wall/insulation??

19 Oct 07 036.jpg

Hi Michael, commonly none, the enclosure is designed to be fitted directly against the studs, and the drywall goes between the ceiling and the top flange of the tub wall only.

Regards

Gerry

Thanks Gerry…

I’ve been seeing this also, just that the area is stuffed with insulation for sound damping qualities.

tom

None;

But, it would be prudent to see a properly installed wall insulation and a tight vapor barrier comparable to the rest of the dwelling or should I say that meets the standards of the industry of exterior wall construction. R-19 min.

JMHO.

Marcel :slight_smile:

Your welcome,

also I want to correct myself, the drywall should realy be green board or better still cement board.

Regards

Gerry

Roger that,
No greenboard behind tile, but still okay in the shower enclosure…:roll:

Michael, was this new construction? Phase inspection or renovation?

Just curious.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

DDN draw last week… Just didn’t think it looked right and haven’t had time to ask ye old experts! :smiley:

Didn’t answer the question sorry… New Construction.

Jeff Meritt the new NACHI Chicago president passed around a new wall board made like drywall with a fiber glass backing and front.the plaster was sandwiched in the middle.
Anyone see this stuff?

Something similar available at Home Depot. (not to mention names)! Touted to not encourage mold.

Well Michael, I not quite sure of the above in context, ha. ha. , but I can share that if this is a new construction my earlier post would definitely apply ,
along with insetting the flange of the tub surround in the studs because they are usually 1/4" Thick and save the problem of the common drywallers having to try and skim coat to correct the bulge in the drywall that it would create.

Shimming the studs accordingly would also work, but would create more than one contractor would want to initiate and a crappy drywall job occurs.

The other thing to watch out for is the green board like others mentioned and should also be installed at the ceiling, due the fact that even with an exhaust fan, the ceiling composite will be introduce with a lot of moisture and the paint is food for the fuel in contributing to Mold.

My comments would be to have a moisture resistant paint used in the bath area to help eliminate this future problem.
Some homes might wish to have a regular ceiling tile installation, and in this case they do manufacture a moisture resistant ceiling tile for this application,
I have it in my own bathroom after fighting with paint peeling and black mold dots all over my ceiling in the paint and got tired of painting my ceiling every spring.

If the exhaust fan is sized appropriately, then the battle with moisture in the washroom is half way there.

I guess you get my drift by now and hope it helps.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

</IMG></IMG></IMG>

Bob, are you talking something similar to this?

http://www.gp.com/build/stopfeedingmold/what-is-paperless-drywall.html

or this;

http://www.usg.com/navigate.do?resource=/USG_Marketing_Content/usg.com/web_files/products/prod_details/SHEETROCK_Brand_HUMITEK_Gypsum_Panels.htm

HUMITEK® gypsum panels are no longer offered.

USG is committed to developing products and systems to address the full spectrum of performance needs, including moisture and mold control. We have taken the best features of our SHEETROCK® brand water resistant gypsum panels and SHEETROCK® HUMITEK® gypsum panels and combined them into one product, SHEETROCK® MOLD TOUGH gypsum panels. The result is a panel with moisture resistance and mold inhibitors in the paper and the core. Because the new product meets or exceeds all of the physical performance attributes of both water resistant and HUMITEK gypsum panels, we are no longer offering these products in our portfolio.
SHEETROCK MOLD TOUGH gypsum panels have a noncombustible, moisture- and mold-resistant gypsum core encased in moisture- and mold-resistant, 100% recycled green face and brown back paper. The 5/8" FIRECODE® and 1/2" FIRECODE® C Core panels are UL Classified as to fire resistance (Type X).

Features and Benefits

SHEETROCK MOLD TOUGH gypsum panels are easy to install, finish and decorate. They can be used in areas that are prone to humidity and moisture, such as bathrooms, laundry rooms, basements, garages and kitchens.
SHEETROCK MOLD TOUGH gypsum panels:

• <LI class=special>Score and snap easily; no special handling required <LI class=special>Are UL Classified as to fire resistance, surface burning characteristics and noncombustibility <LI class=special>Install and finish as easily as standard drywall
  • Feature tapered long edges for easy finishing
    In independent lab tests conducted at the time of manufacture per ASTM D3273, “Standard Test Method for Resistance to Growth of Mold on the Surface of Interior Coatings in an Environmental Chamber,” the panel score was 10.*
    *This ASTM lab test may not accurately represent the mold performance of building materials in actual use. Given unsuitable project conditions during storage, installation or after completion, any building material can be overwhelmed by mold. To mange the growth of mold, the best and most cost-effective strategy is to protect building products from water exposure during storage and installation and after completion of the building. This can be accomplished by using good design and construction practices.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

http://www.usg.com/USG_Marketing_Content/usg.com/web_files/graphics/images/site_nav/body_dottedrule.gif

Marcel …I think that is it, as Jeff could not recall the name.

DensShield is a sandwiched material to use instead of greenboard…

Marcel… Excellent thoughts on the ceiling application for water resistant drywall (or suitable substitute)…
Hope you’re around when I build my forever house… :mrgreen: