Shower Drywall

Originally Posted By: roconnor
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The bldg code generally permits water resistant drywall (greenboard) back-up for tiles in a shower. However I understand that cement board (“Wonderboard”) is generally recommended for this application.

Has anyone observed problems where greenboard (not standard drywall or blueboard) was used for shower tile back-up or know of any good articles that discuss this? ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Robert,

See following extracted from www.hometime.com

Where the tile is installed by a good tile guy, I don't usually see problems in the first several years.

Where the tile is installed by a non-professional who really is very good at it, I see problems frequently.

Primarily due to the deterioration of the grout and the subsequent wetting of the greenboard.

It is not a question of IF the greenboard will get wet and swell, its a question of how long will it be before it does.

Concrete backerboard won't suffer like greenboard when it gets wet.

Its a question of do it cheap or do it right.

EXTRACT:

Moisture-resistant drywall, or "greenboard" as it's often called, is made out of the same gypsum core as drywall. The only difference is that it has a moisture-resistant facing.

Greenboard is sometimes used as an underlayment in wet areas such as a bathtub surround or shower. It's installed the same way as standard drywall.

Keep in mind that greenboard is not water-proof. And if your tile is not sealed properly the greenboard may deteriorate from moisture penetration.

Concrete backerboard has a solid concrete core and is faced on both sides with fiberglass. It's an ideal underlayment for wet areas like shower walls and bathtub surrounds
=========================================

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: Aaron Rosenbaum

greenboard = icon_confused.gif

Cement backerboard/durarock =

Originally Posted By: janderson

Most building official’s and inspectors in this area will not allow greenboard to be installed because of the inherent problems associated with it.

Within the seeds of ignorance lie the fruits of denial

Jeremiah

The model building codes (e.g. IRC) allow greenboard, so unless there is a local restriction there is nothing an AHJ can do except point out the potential problem to designers. I think it can be agreed that cement board is a better installation, but there has to be clear documentation of a problem to even consider proposing a local restriction.

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: rking

Robert,

As Erby says "Do it cheap or do it right".
The standard application up here is to use the greenboard period in the bathrooms. Some custom contractors use the concrete backboard but most do not because of the weight and difficulty cutting and screwing.
I have seen some problems with the greenboard due to moisture, I always take the palm of my hand and sort of slap the tub surrounds all the way around searching for weak or soft spots.
To date I have been lucky and I have not had any walls or tiles come falling down on me ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Originally Posted By: Brad Wederquist

Here’s a little info if you’re still interested

http://www.constructiondefects.com/cd_shower.asp

I agree with rking … seems like greenboard is the usual back-up material for a typical shower (thanks for the tip also).

Thanks for the link Brad ... points out some important things to check. I'm always trying to learn more and stay current. I also found this link:

http://www.usg.com/Design_Solutions/2_5_2_interiorpanel.asp

While the cement board is a better installation, cost is a factor. Seems like the greenboard can be successfully used if installed correctly.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Just wanted to add to Robert’s statement “and properly maintained”.

Joe Myers