Wanna "Critique" another Website?

Originally Posted By: DShelton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Chris,

LOL…don’t get your feathers ruffled. My point was, Front Page does what most websites need, but as with many software packages, they don’t cover everything. Valid points on PDA’s, cellular, handicap accessibility, but the odds of needing that are low and those points are covered in the early discussions of their needs.

And yes, the NACHI site has improved the loading in the past few days, so what you did was certainly a big improvement. I understand the exponential growth that NACHI has attained and it is always difficult to keep up with technology because it changes faster than a baby.

We can debate a lot of things, but this isn't the place to do it. I just did not like the inference to those that do use it, and use it well, that it was a package that was not adequate. Especially for small business websites that don't have the funds to invest in a high-dollar designer, or the knowledge to design in dreamweaver or the money to spend on that, Front Page provides that. I am there to provide a low cost service to help those get up and running and still maintain professionalism. I, too have seen the mega code for a one-page site, but on the other hand, I have seen the fancy media sites that load fast, have sound and rolling moving video, but have no substance to them when you finally get to the home page. And what a small business needs is substance with professionalism. That's all I was trying to say. Thanks for the lively discussion.

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Quote:
Front Page does what most websites need

What I'm saying is that FrontPage doesn't do what most websites need. When I said never use frontpage, that's what I meant. It's like sending your 8 year old out to do a home inspection. Sure, he can walk around the house and point out what he notices, but I sure as heck wouldn't trust it.

Quote:
Especially for small business websites that don't have the funds to invest in a high-dollar designer, or the knowledge to design in dreamweaver or the money to spend on that, Front Page provides that.

Here are 3 scenarios:

A. Inspector A spends $300 on a FrontPage web design, $50 on a domain name, and $150 on FrontPage. His website gets 100 hits in the first month, and 2 jobs. Inspector A has made $100 total (assuming that he charges $300 per inspection).

B. Inspector B spends $300 on a Dreamweaver web design, $50 on a domain name, and $400 on Dreamweaver. His website gets 150 hits the first month (because better code means better search engine ranking) and 4 jobs (one person was using netscape, and the other was visually impaired). Inspector B has made $450 total, just in the first month.

C. Inspector C spends $400 on hand-coded web design, $8.95 on a domain name, and doesn't have to buy and editor because one was built in to his site. His website gets 200 hits in the first month (because the hand-coded site was done with search engines in mind), and gets 5 jobs (same two people as scenario B, plus more hits means the possibility for more clients). Inspector C has made $1,091.05 total, just in the first month.

I don't know, but it seems like Inspector C certainly got a better deal to me. He put less money into his site, and made more in the end.

I understand if you don't feel like arguing. I just had to get the last word in. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://nwtLAocWT7tE6vWZNzYL888yg7O.html)

Well Chris, I’m not going to argue with you. Does it mean we have differing opinions, yes. But, this is not the place to debate it, these guys have more important things to do than to listen to this. But, until your numbers are backed up with some fact and analysis, it will be just that- fiction designed to fit your argument. I learned a long time ago raising children to pick your battles and allow them to win sometimes. Since it seems to be that important to you to have the last word, then you have it. You win, you’re smarter than me and I bow to your excellence, want an ice cream cone, too? icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bdoles

Girls,girls…!! eusa_boohoo.gif

Brian K Doles

Inspection Connection Home Inspections

Northeast, TN

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

I believe the Lady has (as we say in Texas) “shot 'yer hat off”. You better watch what she’s aimin’ fer next.

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Yes, please. icon_lol.gif

Chris Morrell

Chocolate or vanilla…your choice. icon_lol.gif

Which one’s cheaper? icon_twisted.gif

Chris Morrell

![](upload://bqFvUiJccFBkRdtM2qJMwsQhkOD.html)

Sorry, Sweetness…I don’t do cheap. icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: evandeven

Now that you two have simmered down, how about another look.

Things have changed.

Now that it is a “real” site all feedback is welcome.

Eric Van De Ven

Owner/Inspector

Magnum Inspections Inc.

I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!

www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: jpope

Eric,

I see you've come to my neighborhood ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) They sure make it easy, don't they?

My opinion? The background color makes your text hard to read. Try changing font colors and/or background colors to make it a little more "inviting."

I'm sure Chris and Deb will have some good stuff for you so long as they don't start another food fight

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: evandeven

Jeff,

I am still playing around with the background colors. The templates are limited in that area, but for the price, I can’t complain. I also sent them an e mail letting them know that you referred me so maybe something will come your way.

Eric Van De Ven

Owner/Inspector

Magnum Inspections Inc.

I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!

www.magnuminspections.com

Eric!!!

Impressive! Looks soooo gooood!!! I would certainly call you for an inspection!!!

Good job! Much, much better!

No food fight here! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Debby

Jeff,

Your site is down…couldn’t open it.

Debby

Hmmm? eusa_think.gif

It seems okay now. What time did you try and visit it?

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Jeff,

About 6:28. icon_lol.gif

Debby

So that would be 3:28 my time? icon_rolleyes.gif

It's okay now (I hope). I haven't been making many changes lately (other than on my computer).

I appreciate the info. Did you receive my email?

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Eric,

I really like the left side of the header image. The right doesn't have much to do with a home inspector, but it's really not a big deal. It looks good anyway. The tabs along the top wrap on a smaller screen, which you might want to look into. Perhaps putting them a little closer together would help (the standard web screen size that a page should fit is about 640 pixels wide). I don't particularly like the rollover images -- perhaps make them light up rather than show that bar? You might also want to look into a more concise javascript for the rollovers.

Though I really don't mind the blue text, most people immediately think link when they see that blue. At the very least, change the color of the links to something that stands out from the blue. You might also want to take a look at it on a few different screens to make sure it looks ok. The color might bug some peoples' eyes.

The only other thing I have to say is that you might want to look into the actual structure of your page. Instead of using
Code:
<font color="#000000" size="7"><u>Header</u></font>
consider using
Code:
<h1>Header</h1>

This will make your site clear to people who don't see the design correctly or at all. You can use CSS to make the h1 tag look exactly like you have right now... it's just structurally more sound.

Overall, nice site!

--
Chris Morrell

Eric,

Your FAQ’s page can’t be found. Check the link.

Debby

Jeff,

Yes, received your email and the time was 6:28 p.m. last night when I tried to open it. (Eastern Time)

Deb