Warm wood mantel

Originally Posted By: jonofrey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/D/DSC045541.JPG ]

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: jwortham

John,

Closest I could find is R1003.12.

"Woodwork or other combustible material shall not be placed within 6 inches (152 mm) of a fireplace opening. Combustible material within 12 inches (305 mm) of the fireplace opening shall not project more than 1/8 inch (3.2 mm) for each 1-inch (25.4 mm) distance from such opening."

It's for masonry chimneys however.

Not sure it applies here but, it's better than nothing.

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

John:

All manufactured fireplaces and gas appliances must be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation guidlines. Check the book that came with the unit for the proper clearance required to the mantle.
If the book is not available, check the manufacturer's website for the installation instructions.

Best Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Thanks guys, that’s very helpful.

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: mkober

John,

I think it’s the Underwriter’s Laboratory Standard 127 that states the temperature of a combustible surface near a heat source should not exceed ambient temperature plus 90 degrees F. Your client’s mantle was too hot to meet this standard (i. e., the contiguous walls were not at 110 degrees F, were they?). If the installation meets the manufacturer’s requirements, you wouldn’t be out of order in suggesting a heat shield of some sort be installed on the hot, underside of the mantle. Artistic ceramic tile would do quite well, possibly with a wrap-around bull-nose. I did such an installation for a friend of my wife’s last year, and it works like a charm. Here in western Colorado, where every other home is heated with a blazing woodstove, I’ve frequently recommended heat shields be installed when I measure hot adjacent combustible surfaces, and without exception have been thanked by the clients. Had one last week with stained T-111 10" behind a 50-year-old woodstove (singe marks visible)–I suggested they remove the stove asap–they agreed.

Michael J. Kober, P.E. and H.I.

"NACHI Member and Proud Of It!"

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

- When exposed to relatively low levels of heat over a long period of time, wood and other combustibles undergo a process called pyrolysis. As the chemical changes occur , the ignition temperature of the material falls and the risk of fire is increased. Pyrolysis of wood starts to occur at 250F. In Canada in order to maintan a margin of safety 90 deg C (194 deg F) is considered the maximum allowable temperature to which combustibles should be exposed for long periods.

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !