Waste line... how many turns is tooo many?

coming from the toiler… here goes…

90 elb, 45 elb, sweep tee, sweep tee, 90, 45, 45 lateral, 90, 45, 45 lateral, 45, 45 lateral… exits home to private septic…

too many pictures to show but it covers between 50-60 feet of run…

Here are just a couple photos… made me just a little dizzy! :shock:

074.jpg

Not sure without an overview shot but I don’t think that plug cord is approved for DWV support strap :roll:

Hello Jeffrey…

Not sure about the number of turns, (does seem excessive) but with the 50-60 feet of run, you should have a drainage slope of 12.5 to 15.0 inches, (1/4 inch per foot of run) which in your pictures appears to be mostly level. If you didn’t notice 15" of slope, call it out for that. It does appear to be using improper connectors in the first picture. Also, what diameter pipe was used?

Jeffrey

all things point to this home having been planned to go on a slab, which would allow for a lot of things to be done different… obtaining more slope in the drain for one… I was amazed at the whole thing… I am busy writing up a lot of things believe me… but had to share tonight!:roll:

That is exactly what I was going to say.

let’s see… 3" line from toilet with 2" coming from shower which you see in tying into the larger line…

this is also the first time i’ve seen the thin metal straps used for hangers…

yeah barry i like the cord as well…

manufactured home built in 2007!!:mrgreen:

Mixing of ABS and PVC is not allowed except for one transition fitting and use of a special solvent.
I agree that the slope is no adequate from the pics and way to many bends.

Any body got specs on bends allowed.

that was my thought too Robert!.. I spent 14 years in piping design for a Navy Shipyard and we were only allowed one 90 for each toilet waste line… now i know residential is different but this was EXCESSIVE…

It appears who ever in stalled either didn’t have the proper fittings with them or wasn’t too bright. As Michael said mixing of ABS and PVC is not allowed except for one transition fitting and use of a special solvent. As for the second picture the plumber should have simply extended the wye with a piece of 2” pipe and use a 45 to connect to the shower (1 Fitting). As it is you should at least call out the 90 degree fitting as you cannot lay a regular 90 horizontally on a waste line. At minimum it should be (2) 45’ s or a long sweep 90, but because it needs to be repaired anyway it should repaired using the single 45 as I stated above. Typically with significant pitch (¼” per foot) the number of turns are not really an issue, ideally you just want to use as few fittings as possible. The one expectation is the use of regular 90’s horizontally which is a no no. hope this helps.

Makes me think that they really didn’t know where the fixtures were going to be when they started running the pipe.