Water heater and dryer flues

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Client asked me yesterday if he could hook up the dryer flue to the water heater flue. I told him I did not know but would find out. There’s something about such a setup that doesn’t appeal to me, but I don’t like lint all over my garage either.

The water heater and dryer both are located in the garage. Due to additions, the dryer flue exterior hood had been replaced with a solid piece of plywood and then stuccooed. I explained that the dryer probably wouldn't dry properly and that the flue would probably fill with lint, creating other hazards. The location of doorways prevents taking the flue anyplace else other than terminating in the garage like it does. . . unless it can be attached to the gas-fired water heater flue. I also explained that the people who designed and/or constructed the additions didn't take everything into consideration, possibly indicating that building permits were not pulled and/or signed off on.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Quote:
IRC M1501: dryer exhaust systems shall be independent of all other systems, shall convey the moisture to the outdoors and shall terminate on the outside of the building.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: rray

Yeah, that’s what I thought. I just don’t ever like putting lint anywhere near open gas flames of any type.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Except in the dryer, of course. icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Russel,

It's funny how you mention that. I just did an inspection last week where the homeowner had her dryer vent penetrating a temporary plywood wall, then going into a two way vent connector which was vented to the exterior. The only problem was that the dryer flex tube was going into one entry and boiler vent connector going into the other. I had to take a double take. Hey, they were vented to the outside.
As I was showing my client what to do to correct this situation, I went to lift the sagging rubber flex tube (coming from the dryer) and it weighed about 5 lbs. It was full of water. Absolutely impossible.
Keep an eye on these Homeowners big guy. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."