Water Heater Water Valve

Originally Posted By: brian mengini
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello… I was in my basement yesterday and I heard dripping water, foolishly, I ignored it. I was there this morning cleaning up and getting it ready for my kids, when I was back by my water heater, I saw water all around. Looking closely, I noticed water dripping out of the little valve. is this normal? I have never noticed it before but also not sure I ever really paid attention. I hope this isnt serious because my dryer is not heating as well now either. Ugh! What does this mean???

Tx!
Brian

Originally Posted By: dbush

Brian, if the little valve you are referring to is the TPR valve, it should not be leaking. It is a Temperature Pressure Relief Valve that has a small silver handle on it that if the temperature or pressure get too high in the water heater, it will open and let water out. It is actually a very easy fix, if you are comfortable with doing home repairs yourself, any of the home stores (Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc), have them available normally with installation instructions.

If you are uncomfortable or unable to do the work yourself, it should not be a large expense for a plumber or handyman to come and repair it. Which one you use would depend on the restrictions in the area that you live in and whether they have a regulation of who can do plumbing repairs.

Dave

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: cmccann

If your talking about a valve at the bottom, that would be a valve to drain the tank. Drain the tank and replace valve. If your talking about a valve that has a long tube attached pointing at the floor (assuming someone installed it) then what Dave said.

NACHI MAB!

I went down and looked at it. it looks like some kinda I guess valve with copper tubing coming out and pointed down to the floor. vavle is on side towards top and has some kinda flap (kinda like some locking clasp of sorts that flips up and down). Here is a photo of a heater. My tubing goes down longer. Also, the front of where the tubing connects is where the flap is. Hope this makes sense.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

That is the TPR valve as Dave mentioned

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

That’s the TPR valve that Dave was referring to.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Might be the picture, but the water heater flue looks like it runs downhill to the stack. Does it?

Fellas… thanks for your continual help. that is not my heater but a picture of one so I can show you the tubing. Now… how exactly do I fix this problem. Also, what caused this problem??

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Brian…

Causes could include...
a faulty valve
sediment in the valve (although that wouldn't have made it leak originally)
Excessive supply pressure (do you have a pressure regulator?)
Excessive pressure from normal thermal expansion (do you have a thermal expansion tank?)
Finally...and here I'm deliberately trying to scare you...the thermostat control has failed and the Temperature Pressure valve is all that is preventing a new and unwanted skylight in your home.

Please don't take this the wrong way...but the fact that you asked the original question here suggests to me that you don't have sufficient knowledge to investigate the cause and safely make repairs. This valve is a very important safety device. My advice is to shut the heater down (turn of the gas) and call a plumber immediately.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com