Water is a good conductor....right?

It is a common installation here. Being a semi desert climate they do last longer, but not a best practice. I also recommend sealing the top of the backing/equipment.

Water is not a good conductor. That is a myth.

2 Likes

Morning, George. I do not mean to correct you, seeing your understanding of electricity and the ability to narrate it’s mechanics is far superior than mine, but stating water is not a good conductor is being generally innocuous. The point I want make for new member is that how electric current flows through water can have adverse or deadly effects upon contact.

The fact of the mater is, water is a significant conductor of electric current-electricity.
Water allows electric current to flow more readily in wet conditions through wet skin. The effects can be anything from light shock to severe burns and even cardiac arrest. This is the point I am trying to make clear.
The underlying mechanism for movement is dependent on the material and surface conduction.

As always. Thanks for your input. I for one truly enjoy your posts.

Best regards.
Robert Young

If water was a good conductor we wouldn’t need expensive metal wiring.
Just small pipes with water in them.

1 Like

AGREED! ,.

Very true!. Distilled water is actually an insulator.

2 Likes

I’ve learned numerous things from the forum… I finally have figured out that sarcasm doesn’t work well here. Will try to stay on topic instead of coming up with clever euphemisms.

1 Like

You’re fine everything’s good.

Lets consider the water home inspectors and most home owners come into contact with. Potable domestic munisiple water through taps.
Tap water contains dissolved salts in it. These salts dissociates into ions when electricity passed through it which are responsible for the electricity conductivity of tap water .

I don’t see any refrigerant lines in the electrical service photograph. Perhaps you could point them out. If they are, as you said, in contact the the service conductors, they must be in one of the electrical enclosures or the fitting between them. That is certainly an odd location for refrigerant lines.