water/noisture intrusion

I just got done with an addition on my house and the drywall around the new windows are redlining my moisture detector. There is visible condesation on the tracks of the windows, is this what is causing the walls surrounding the windows to fill up with water and stain. It does not make any sense, from the outside it appears they are water tight and prior to painting I performed a water test and they appeared to not be leaking. Does anyone have any suggestions, I have kids and am worried about mold. The windows are double pain and as mentioed before there is visible water/moisture buildup on the inside tracks that the windows slide on. (single hung).

By the way, i used to be a member, but the incliment market kicked me out of the program.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, pictures would help.

How did you flash them?

http://thumbp2.mail.re2.yahoo.com/tn?sid=1613593709&mid=AHPsjkQAAETjRpTurw7TJHj67wM&partid=2&f=580&fid=Inboxhttp://thumbp2.mail.re2.yahoo.com/tn?sid=1613593709&mid=AHPsjkQAAETjRpTurw7TJHj67wM&partid=3&f=580&fid=Inboxhttp://thumbp2.mail.re2.yahoo.com/tn?sid=1613593709&mid=AHPsjkQAAETjRpTurw7TJHj67wM&partid=4&f=580&fid=Inbox

The windows are set in poured conrete cells, same thickness as block. The moisture is evident on the tracks as well as around the center of the window where the locks are. Heavy moisture is detected in the walls. Thanks for the help.

See my post under “Exterior”.

Without knowing a lot more info, it’s gonna be hard to determine what your problem is. But condensation on the inside of thermal windows indicates that perhaps your problem has to do with indoor humidity. You say this is an addition…what’s the square footage? Did you add air and heat for the space? What kind of climate do you live in?

It could be a lot of things,including the roof.

Hi Mike:

I’m not a construction expert – I will leave that topic to the professional home inspectors.

However, regarding your concerns about mould – I am an expert, and here’s my advice.

Worry about the moisture intrusion, then
Worry about the moisture intrusion, then
Then worry about the moisture intrusion.

Use the appearance of the mould like you would any other tool. The mould will provide you information about where the moisture is coming from and how it is moving. Think of it as your friend. Regarding exposure issues and health… no issue - Worry about the moisture intrusion; and for gosh sake, don’t waste your money on sampling. If you want to know what it is (for some strange reason), post a photo and tell me how long the water has been there, and I’ll tell you what it is – for free.

Caoimhín P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Caoimhín P. Connell

I love your advice it is always so logical.

Thanks Big Time Roy Cooke

Now that was a funny answer.

Are the exterior window track weepholes clogged? (Moisture can’t drain out of track and is backing up?)

I live in South Florida and the humidity can get really high. The installers are coming out today to look at the problem. There is no flashing due to it being a concrete constructed home. The windows are installed on PT bucks and then waterproofed with caulking around the bucks and the windows. (I performed a water test when they were installed and did not get any seapage, however it could still be the issue). The cladding is stucco. We added about 600 sq. ft. of space under air and mechanical calculations were performed and cooling was added to the addition from the existing HVAC system. I restricted the AC flow and it still created the same condensatioon buildup on the side tracks of the windows. There is a large covered patio in front of the windows, but I can think of any reason why that would cause a problem and if it did there would be allot of people with the same issue. The weapholes are not blocked and the intrustion is on the verticle tracks where the window slides. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Caoimhín,

As usual, the great educated advice from a Licensed Industrial Hygienist…!!

I tell anybody calling about mold to go to your website, saves them from being ripped-off with needless sampling…:smiley: …then go to the EPA website, then ask them-self, do I want to be ripped off, or do I want to find where the moisture is coming from…:smiley:

I also tell anyone calling who may ask if I do mold sampling that I sleep much better at night knowing I didn’t rip someone off today…:smiley:

But I have a few phone numbers of inspection companies that will take your money so they can tell you what the name of the mold is, for some bizarre reason…:twisted:

99.9% of the folks who call don’t know they need to stop the moisture, they think they need to stop the mold…:shock: :shock:

The problem you are having is condensation around your windows. When the temperature is hot outside and cold inside, you will have condensation on the cold side, just like with single pane glass. In your last post you might have told the answer to your problem, you said it was concrete constructed walls(Low R-Value). Are these walls solid or hollow? Are the windows mounted flush or do they have an air space between the frames and the wall? What are the window frames made out of? What are the tracks made out of? If the tracks are metal, they will transfer heat from the outside to the inside, then you will have condensation on them. Whatever the case, the problem is caused from temperature differential, and the only way to solve the problem may be to install a different type of window or possibly install storm windows. In other words you have to slow down the heat transfer. Also what color is the window? Is it in direct sunlight? It may be as simple as changing color or adding an awning. JMO

The problem you are having is condensation around your windows. When the temperature is hot outside and cold inside, you will have condensation on the cold side, just like with single pane glass. In your last post you might have told the answer to your problem, you said it was concrete constructed walls(Low R-Value). Are these walls solid or hollow? Are the windows mounted flush or do they have an air space between the frames and the wall? What are the window frames made out of? What are the tracks made out of? If the tracks are metal, they will transfer heat from the outside to the inside, then you will have condensation on them. Whatever the case, the problem is caused from temperature differential, and the only way to solve the problem may be to install a different type of window or possibly install storm windows. In other words you have to slow down the heat transfer. Also what color is the window? Is it in direct sunlight? It may be as simple as changing color or adding an awning. JMO

Still didn’t answer the KEY question: is there a vapor retarder in the wall, and if so, where is it located? The original post spoke of moisture-laden walls, and that is probably the source of the moisture at the window.

If you used metal corner beads for your corners your moisture meter will redline if placed over the corner bead.

Stucco or EIFS? It sounds like a classic EIFS problem with moisture generated in the home unable to dry to the exterior by diffusing through the exterior walls because a *waterproof *membrane (EIFS) has been installed instead of a moisture permeable membrane.

The walls are solid concrete, the windows are double pained aluminum with aluminum tracks. The windows are covered by a 10’ covered patio. They are the only ones doing this. I have the same window installed in my bedroom to match the new addition on the front of the house and they are not having the same moisture issue. The windows are mounted on PT bucks and then sealed with caulking. All the other windows in my house are single pane awning windows and none of them are doing this. Thanks everyone for your help.