Water odor only in one bathroom

This is a question regarding my personal home located in Jenks, OK, a Tulsa suburb. Only the 2 sinks in the master bath have a ‘sulpherish’ odor when the valves are first opened, maybe 30 - 40 seconds. This bathroom also has a shower, jetted tub and toilet. This odor is only present at the 2 vanities.
Adjacent to the master bath area is a wet bar and the laundry room. There is no odor at either of these. There is no odor at any of the following: kitchen, down hall bath and upstairs bath. I have not noticed any odor at either of the outside hose faucets.
The house was built in 2005 and is on city (good quality) water. House is plumbed with PEX and has copper stubs for faucet connections coming thru the walls under the sinks.
This is not something new, we noticed it from when we moved in 8 years ago. I did notice it when I inspected the home pre-purchase but shrugged off since the owner had been living in Oklahoma City for the last 8 months.
Any ideas to the cause of this???

Is it at both hot and cold valves?

1 Like

Also, if you fill a glass with the water and leave the room, does the glass still smell of sulfur? I’m thinking it might be the drains, however if the water still smells like sulfur, its a supply issue.

4 Likes

Yes it is, and I do have a hot water recirculation pump installed.

I will try that now.

I just filled a glass but the water had no odor. I last used that faucet at ~9:30 this morning. I will wait til this afternoon and try again.

1 Like

Maybe?

• Decomposing organic matter in the faucet drain
  • A reaction between the sulfate in the water and the water heater anode
3 Likes

It smells even if I just fill a cup with water and none goes down the drain.

If it were the anode, I would expect it the odor to be at all faucets.

1 Like

Have you cleaned the aerators?

2 Likes

I haven’t. I just cleaned one and left the other alone. I will see if there is any difference in odor between them in several hours.

1 Like

Hi david, I have a feeling it’s the buildup in the traps I get that on mine once in awhile and as soon as I clean them it’s gone

It sounds as though it may be some type of issue with the fixtures, being that these two sinks are the only ones in the house with this issue.

If cleaning the aerators doesn’t work as Mark suggested, my next step would be to dissassemble the fixtures and clean everything, that, or just replace them, which can be pricey depending on the fixtures you go with.

1 Like

Kevin, we have replaced them about 5 years ago. It didn’t make any difference in the odor.

2 Likes

Possibly some crud buildup inside those copper stubs?

3 Likes

Chinese Copper ??

1 Like

The home was built within the years it was used.

2 Likes

Well water?

Chinese copper?

1 Like
3 Likes

David stated in his OP that it is city water.

1 Like