Water Pressure

Originally Posted By: gporter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is there an acceptable water pressure for the outside water spigots. The inspection day I did was at 100 instead of the normal 40-60. Is it a problem.

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Anything >80 psi is considered “excessive” and a pressure reducing valve SHALL be installed (UPC). You will sometimes hear plumbers call them RP valves. When you mention the water pressure everyone likes to brag…Yeah, its great isnt it? until you tell them the part about needing an RP valve.

Originally Posted By: jpope

dedwards wrote:
Anything >80 psi is considered "excessive" and a pressure reducing valve SHALL be installed (UPC).

I thought FL follows the IRC. . .

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Jeff,

I believe it is the same (29003.1) I just learned on UPC so I threw that in. Its on pg. 15 in the Code Check. Still says >80 psi.

Anything over 80 psi requires a regulator - you are correct. I was just surprised to see the UPC reference as CA is one of the only states relying on this outdated code (although we are currently in transition to the IRC).

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Found a great site with info. Thanks

Guys.

www.wattsreg.com/default.htm?/wprv/default.htm

--
Gary Porter
GLP's Home and Mold Inspections LLC
Orlando, Fl 32828
321-239-0621

Originally Posted By: whandley

Only the interior residential plumbing is subject to the 80 PSI rule. Make sure the hose bib you tested is behind the structure mounted water shut off valve and therefore branched off the interior fresh water plumbing supply. I’ve had occasion to write up excessive pressure at a hose bib only to find out later, it was still active once the water supply was shut off to the structure. I’m not referring to the water districts main meter shut off valve. Its not uncommon to have the sprinkler system and or perimeter yard hose bibs supplied by a separate line ahead of the regulator and or shut off valve with of course higher working pressures.icon_idea.gif

Will,

It happened at 2 different bibs on opposite sides of the house.

--
Gary Porter
GLP's Home and Mold Inspections LLC
Orlando, Fl 32828
321-239-0621

Originally Posted By: rcooke

gporter wrote:
Will,

Am I missing some thing ,I do agree what is said about the water pressure above .
My question is why are you measuring water pressure .

The sop does not say we do water pressure. (See II - D below )
I feel by exceeding the sop we can be getting our selves in to difficulty.

II. The inspector is not required to:

A. Light pilot flames.
B. Determine the size, temperature, age, life expectancy or adequacy of the water heater.
C. Inspect interiors of flues or chimneys, water softening or filtering systems, well pumps or tanks, safety or shut-of valves, floor drains or sprinkler systems.
D. Determine the exact flow rate, volume, pressure, temperature, or adequacy of the water supply.

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: lkage

rcooke wrote:

Roy, around here, it may be as simple as reading the pressure gauge on the well pressure tank. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: rcooke

lkage wrote:
rcooke wrote:

Roy, around here, it may be as simple as reading the pressure gauge on the well pressure tank. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

It seems to me that many are using a presure gauge . see below.

gporter wrote:
Will,

Where do we draw the line .
I do know some inspectors use a bore sightseer to examine inside the wall .
The sop is to try and help us stay out of court.
All H.I. Associations use a similar SOP for our protection.
Some inspectors could be jeopardizing them selves and others by continuing to raise the SOP.
What is next TV cameras to look inside the chimney or drain systems .
How much can you afford to buy.
How Much can you carry .
How much time do you wish to spend on an inspection.

Be Happy Join NACHI

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: lkage

rcooke wrote:
lkage wrote:
rcooke wrote:

It seems to me that many are using a presure gauge . see below.

gporter wrote:
Will,

Gotcha. I own a pressure gauge. I used it one time to verify that the pressure gauge at the tank was working correctly when it read 105 psi. Other than times like that, it stays in my bag.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

So then I should leave it out ?

Gary Porter

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

Maximum static pressure shall be 80 psi. When main pressure exceeds 80 psi, an approved pressure reducing valve shall be installed on the domestic water branch or riser at the connection to the water-service pipe.

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Thanks, Jeff

Gary Porter

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

Originally Posted By: whandley

I believe the NACHI SOP is a minimum standard, as are all SOP’s. I’ve altered my inspection protocol over the years to accommodate issues that are routinely of concern to my clients. I’ve also learned that adding a few inspection items may alleviate unpleasant phone calls from my client and or attorneys in the future:

Example - I live in an area with lots of hill side homes. These homes, in some cases experience water pressure readings up to 130 PSI. Client moves in, has a fresh water pipe and or supply hose burst, flooding the structure. Plumber suggests whom ever inspected your property at time of purchase was an idiot and should have advised you of the excessive pressure and need for a pressure regulator.

I realize the SOP may save me. But I don't want that phone call and I don't want to discuss the SOP with my clients attorney and or insurance company. I carry my pressure gauge on top of my ladder. Its used to test maximum pressure readings and pressure drop when I encounter worn galvanized plumbing systems on a weekly basis. It must add all of two to three minutes of inspection time. ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Will:

I check water pressures and flow when checking Well Water Systems.

It is an ancillary service performed & contracted separately from the Home Inspection.

Gary provided a good link.

www.wattsreg.com/default.htm?/wprv/default.htm

These are Pressure Regulators. This is the equipment, when installed, is found in many homes.

They are not Pressure Controllers. There is a difference.

The regulators are also mechanical pieces of equipment that have a life expectancy as well as being prone to failure due to the service conditions.

As Russel Ray many times states, you need to provide an Education for your Clients along with the Inspection.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: dandersen

Quote:
Can you elaborate?

You are correct in pointing out testing water pressure is not required. Just wondering what you are basing your feelings on. We may be able to gather more insight from this.

Thanks.

Quote:
I realize the SOP may save me.

I don't think the sop will save anybody when it comes to a lawyer. Depending on the sop for saving grace is a false sense of security to me.

Quote:

Quote:
5. INSPECTOR does not perform engineering, architectural, plumbing, or any other job function requiring an occupational license in the jurisdiction where the inspection is taking place, unless the inspector holds a valid occupational license, in which case he/she may inform the CLIENT that he/she is so licensed, and is therefore qualified to go beyond this basic home inspection, and for additional fee, perform additional inspections beyond those within the scope of the basic home inspection.

Roy is correct, the more you inspect the more you are liable for. Other than that, providing more services to your client is not illegal or against sop, it is just more services and a greater chance to be wrong. However, if you feel you're right and you do it right you should get paid more and there should be no problem with you providing the service.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Minimalists, bah humbug. nachi_sarcasm.gif nachi_sarcasm.gif nachi_sarcasm.gif

Not just an inspection, it's an education!

Give your clients the same information you would want to know if you were buying the house!

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

I doubt giving water pressure is going to open you up to too very much liability. It is only a piece of useful data. Not like attaching a set of gauges to the AC system unless you are qualified to do so. A case in point, there is one neighborhood here that every home has in excess of 100 psi. Ive done quite a few homes in there so I always casually asked the homeowner if they have had any problems with broken water lines, leaks, water heaters, etc. In almost every case they begin to tell me about having to replace toilet valves often and complain bitterly about the quality of stuff today. Then I mention to them the amount of water pressure. They usually think it is great until I tell them that is probably what is causing their problems. One couple looked right at each other after I told them. Then they related to me how they had recently bought a new refrig with ice and water in the door. Three days after the store came out and installed it they woke up in the middle of the night hearing water running. They went into the kitchen and it was flooded due to the polyethylene line on the back had split wide open. My client appreciated me providing that bit of information and a few days later I got a call from the buyers wanting me to inspect their new house. Worth the 2 minutes it takes to do a pressure check.