Watts 210 - Without a Pressure Relief. Code Citation

I have a encountered a plumber who for some years has been installing Watts 210 gas shutoff valves, without a pressure relief valve.

The Watts 210 shuts off gas when the temperature gets too high, but does nothing for pressure.

I’ve pointed them at the Watts user manual for the model 210 which describes the need for a pressure valve elsewhere in the system, but so far the plumber is unimpressed. Could someone help with a specific code citation, relevant to the use of a Watts 210 style gas shutoff device?

This is in the manual?

Since you are now a code inspector find in your code book where it says the water heater shall be installed in accordance to manufacturers installation instructions. Now reference the manual for the Watts 210 valve.

2 Likes

Try here, it has required a PRV since it came out.

Watts 210.pdf (197.8 KB)

I’ve read the manual. There are three installation configurations.

I’m sure you know all 3 show a relief valve in addition to the 210 device.

The OP’s " plumber is unimpressed" is what I’ve observed on occasion, where someone removes the factory TPR and installs a 210 by itself.

the relief valve is on the water heater as usual, not on the watts 210.
you can see here.

the relief valve is on the water heater as usual, not on the watts 210.

It is sometimes removed to make room for the gas shut-off device, but the point is that it’s supposed to be there, as you indicated.

The OP’s " plumber is unimpressed" is what I’ve observed on occasion, where someone removes the factory TPR and installs a 210 by itself.

Exactly the situation I’m in.
Saying “follow manufacturer’s instructions” I have already tried.

Note this is all due to California’s exceptionally restrictive code on where the TPR can exit. It’s pretty unworkable in many situations, not just retrofit.

What I’m looking for by posting here is other’s experiences, and any code references (specifically if IAMPO or UPC call out both explicitly, beyond the blanket and snarky “follow instructions”). This is a case where the plumber believes there is no safety problem – so just saying “follow instructions” likely won’t change things.

The Watts 210 valves I am referring to are being used where the TPR cannot be drained and meet California code. So, no, there’s no T&P valve, and if one was supplied with the water heater, it is removed.

That “snarky” statement of following the manufacturers installation instructions is the exact verbiage you will find in the code book. There are many online resources to find your local codes. I recommend if you want to be a code inspector you familiarize yourself with how to look these codes up.

1 Like

here are the other 2 options. If they are not doing this. make an anonymous call to code enforcement.
Maybe they dont care , because they are not pulling the permit to do the water heater install in the first place.
Put the diagram in your report pointing this out. So the owner has something to show the plumber. Maybe they just dont understand what you are trying to say in your report.