WDI?

What do you think?

After further review (http://www.pestproducts.com/flyingants.htm#antvterm)

thin waist = ant?!?

Flying ants have three body parts, termites pinched behind the head. I can’t tell from the pictures what you are looking at, but hope that helps.

To positively identify these critters I would need a much larger closeup. Carpenter ants have a specific thorax shape which is the most accurate identifier. Unlikey they would be termites in the open like that.

You have mail

Unless they just swarmed, I have never seen a termite just walking around. If there are no wings in the area, I would bet that they are not termites.

For my reports, I’d take a picture up close.

Kill one.
Put it on a piece of white paper.
Set your camera on micro.
Get in close and focus.
Take the shot.

Look for elbowed antennae for ants - straight for wingless termite.

Check out the best online training (learn at your own pace) WDO course (IMHO :slight_smile: ) at

I was able to do a little editing to the picture and zoom in to the insect in question and it is a carpenter ant and not a termite. Believe me I am a certified pest control operator in Florida (Termiteville).

I attached something on identification that may be helpful with the differences between these insects.

Jose’ F. Uz, Ph.D., CRC, CPO, CHI, CHC, M-NFPA, NACHI, FHA INSP., FABI
President
[size=5]Caribbean**[size=3]Realty Support Services, Inc.[/size]**
[/size]

carpenter ant.jpg*
Aside*:
I believe that all home inspectors should be trained in WDO.For many reasons, including:

• WDOs can damage the structural components of a building
  • Use your training and certificate in your marketing
  • Structural repairs may have been part of WDO treatment
  • Signs of WDO treatment may indicate other concerns about the building
  • You know what you’re looking at when you have knowledge
  • You can answer questions such as, “What’s that pile of sawdust from?”
  • WDO management and prevention techniques in construction overlap the things that home inspectors look at
  • Finding infestation without signs of treatment is valuable
  • The age of WDO treatment (how long ago the treatment was performed) is valuable information to pass on to the new homebuyer. If a barrier treatment is old, it may not be reliable.
  • and on and on…

Free, online WDO course - with state accreditation - http://www.nachi.org/wdocourse.htm Learn at your own pace. Take the exam as many times as needed.

Every InterNACHI inspector should have taken this course by now. No excuses.

IMHO :slight_smile:

Ben’s photo shows the true way to determine carpenter ant identity. The thorax on all other ants is not smoothly rounded like the one shown. Without seeing a side view it’s really difficult to identify. Size and color are not identity features.