WDO ID Are these pics related?

Yesterday I was inspecting a crawl space in the Casper, WY area, and ran across three items that are of concern. The attached pictures were taken in different areas probably 25 to 30 feet away from each other.

Two of the pictures show piles of material which has accumulated on the crawl space footer.near gaps in some insulation boards. According to the owner the insulation was installed about 3 years ago. There may be fragments of ants within the debris.

Another picture shows a lot of small ants. The knife blade in the picture is just under 1/4 in in width ( aprox.7/32 in.) This picture was taken in the general area under the kitchen sink.

The third item is a picture of a piece of scrap wood found on the dirt floor that shows evidence of some type of WDO.

I am wondering if these are related issues with a common culprit or if they represent multiple issues.

Thanks for your assistance.!

Look like dead carpenter ants and their frass. Not sure about the related part.

1 Like

I was under the impression that carpenter ants were fairly large? The ants in the picture with the knife blade would only be about 1/4 inch in length. I suppose they come in numerous sizes depending on the type of species?

Some type of ant (not carpenter) that caused the crap from nesting activity.
Could be years old who knows. I also see some beetles.
Neither one is a WDO.
That piece of wood looks like non-insect junk from being on the ground.
<MG State Lic Termite/Lawn & Ornamental/Pest-Rodent Operator #2446 :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

The insulation was installed about 3 years ago. I would assume that debris would have accumulated within that time frame.

Why does that matter or are you just being chatty.

Kind of a newbe in this department. Not sure if this is something to be concerned with or not.

You can take pics & state evidence of suspected previous or current ant infestation, but not part of the inspection.
I call it a “courtesy observation”.

1 Like

Welcome to out forum, David!..Enjoy! :smile:

1 Like

I would agree with Marc and say it’s not carpenter ants. Too small. My neighbor and I had several Pharo ant nests in our yards. They look like what is in your picture. Hardy little buggers. Had to get a local pest control company to take care of them.

1 Like

Info from the University of Kentucky:
image Carpenter ants, vary in size and color but are usually large (1/4-1/2 inch) and blackish. Wood which has been damaged by carpenter ants contains no mud-like material, as is the case with termites. Shredded fragments of wood, similar in appearance to coarse sawdust, are ejected from the galleries through preexisting cracks or slits made by the ants. When such accumulations are found (typically containing dead ants and bits of insects which the carpenter ants have eaten), it’s a good indication that a carpenter ant nest is nearby. Oftentimes, however, the excavated sawdust remains hidden behind a wall or in some other concealed area. Carpenter ants nest in both moist and dry wood, but prefer wood which is moist. Consequently, the nests are more likely to be found in wood dampened by water leaks, such as around sinks, bathtubs, poorly sealed windows/ door frames, roof leaks and poorly flashed chimneys.

Are you stating it is carpenter or just offering general info.

Without visually seeing. I can’t call it. So I sent info.

I am calling it out as a courteous observation and suggested that they could request a pest exterminator’s opinion.

1 Like

Looks like fire ants and water damage to me!