We need questions here.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Seems what we really need here is more questions about inspection issues. Those are what draw people to the board, not poitical discussions about HI organizations.

Chris, will the new edition include the ability to upload pictures. It's hard for me to describe what I'm asking about, but it's easy for me to show others the picture. It's also easier to give a clear piece of advice when you can see the picture of what the person is asking about. Just set some limits on picture size.

Originally Posted By: rwills

There’s plenty of questions about inspection issues in " Specific Inspection Topics". What we need is a section to discuss the political issues in Pa. since we are the ones being attacked by other orgs (No names mentioned). Perhaps a private sector that won’t disrupt other members who don’t want to get involved will help. We gotta discuss it somewhere because if they have their way there will not be a NACHI.

Originally Posted By: PROSOURCE INSPECTION

Let me thank everyone in advance for the help! I need help with insurance needs, tools and equipment needed and best marketing practices. I know this is a wide range, but I hope I can get some help with this.

Bryan icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Ok,

You wanted a question, here it is. While doing an electrical inspection of the electric panel (assume it is the only one), "does the panel have to be grounded and bonded"?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Originally Posted By: jremas

Joe, a shared neutral is ok as long as the breakers are on different phases on the service. If they are on the same phase (a or b) then you will have trouble with overloads. As long as the phases are separated, then no problem. This is common practice in commercial and industrial settings as a cost cutting tool. These systems are to be maintained by professionals. I would not recommend a shared neutrall in the residential setting. This would be a no-no in my book and I would refer them to find a licensed reputable electrician. I would note it on my report along with documentation of my verbal instructions. jeff

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Good call, Jeff. That’s exactly what I did.

As I said, the breakers were adjacent to each other, so they were split between each hot leg on the panel. Erby suggested some questions, and this was the first that came to mind... Excellent...

Here we go: A sump pump is in the basement in a 12" hole in the northwest corner of the home. A garden hose is attached to it that runs up the foundation wall and through a hole in it. Outside you can see the end of the hose sticking out of the foundation about 6" above grade. The pump operates when the float is lifted or water added to the sump hole. Question: what do you write in your report?

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!!!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Thanks Igor. The hose was a 5/8" garden hose. Pretty nice hugh?

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

How was the exterior discharge of the sump pump handled? If too close to the foundation, there could develop a “re-cycling” of water within the drainage system.

(Or maybe there's genius in our "amateur's" madness! Did the pump generate enough pressure in the 5/8" hose to propel the water through the air 10-15' from the house?) icon_wink.gif Sorry, always trying to explain the unexplainable!

I always try to emphasize to my client the importance of maintaining proper foundation and surface/site drainage in order to avoid moisture related problems in and around the house.

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Geeze guys. Y’all are carrying this too far. I DID NOT mean additional questions in THIS thread. If you have a specific question, it should be a separate thread so that people can kind of tell what the issue is by reading the topic subject.

Then again, some of us, including me, post a question, even though we know the answer, to spark additional discussion. Let's just try to keep each question in its own thread.

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com