Weather conditions

Originally Posted By: Joe DiGiacomo
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi again and thanks in advance for your comments. What is done in situations of heavy down pours, electrical outages, blizzards etc…does the inspection go on as scheduled (like the mail)? Do you look at the weather reports and schedule as best you can. If you cancel does it tarnish your reputation or does the customer and realtor understand?

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Joe

I’ll think you’ll find most inspectors just get on with it regardless of what nature is throwing at them, if you live in an area like mine you just get used to working in 2 fett of snow for 3 months of the year icon_lol.gif and reporting the conditions as you see (or don’t) see them. ie if there is 2 ft of snow on the roof then you put into your report that the roof covering could not be seen due to the conditions.

You Have to remember that inspections are normally done within a very narrow window of opportunity dictated by the P&S agreement, usually in my area a potential buyer only has 10 days to perform due dilligence.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Joe,

There will also be times where the house is winterized, so the plumbing can't be inspected. I go ahead and inspect what I can, and go back and finish at a later date. And , yes, I do charge to go back and finish up. Sometimes a buyer will suggest rescheduling the inspection, but as Gerry said, there is an obligation to start the process in a timely manner. I did an insp. just last week with no power due to a storm.

Usually when it is raining a during the inspection, the buyer will make a comment that they couldn't have picked a better day to inspect the house. You may see things like roof leaks or water in a panel box that would be difficult to detect on a dry day.

Just get some good rain gear and warm boots and do your best. I think we already discussed the pros and cons of Gore-Tex while back( my personal choice for keeping dry).

Originally Posted By: Joe DiGiacomo

Good info, thanks. Let me ask you this, has the customer ever asked you to reschedule because of weather, what do you say?

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Joe H.

When you can not inspect something you have to remember that the buyer is under contract to get it done within a certain time frame. While this certainly is not your problem you should be careful because if the realtor does not reserve the right to inspect that issue on the reply to inspection it is going to come back and bite you on the backside since the client followed your advice and did not ask for it till closing. This just means they will have to pay for any issues themselves since they are no longer within the time frame of the contract, which means they are going to get angry with you and what you to pay for it! icon_biggrin.gif

Food for thought. icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers