Website Content

Originally Posted By: Ed Porter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I would like to get a couple opinions on this; I use the NACHI link on my website, and refer to it in my brochures. But now when I pull up the NACHI home page, I am concerned. There are big headlines on how home inspectors can make more money, etc etc etc.

Is that what we want our potential customers to see?

Don’t get me wrong, that is awesome information for me and every NACHI member, but isn’t that sending the wrong message to the general home buying public?

Should information like that be in an area for “members only?”

Just my thoughts. Would love to hear yours.

--
Ed Porter
Cornerstone Home Inspection Services
Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: gbell

I second your opinion.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

NACHI.org has always been a site focussed on home inspectors. Until the “find an inspector” page, we never really put anything up that was of interest to an inspector’s clients. I think that we might need to set up a page (clients.nachi.org or consumers.nachi.org or something) that our members can refer their clients to.

What do you guys think?

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://laAZ8etlruXc16PrAKhrcUj7wfy.html)

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson

I don’t know how complicated this might be but;

How about a main NACHI page with buttons to “Inspectors”, “Homeowners”?

Bob

Originally Posted By: dbush

I’m with Bob, we need to separate the two. Our find an inspector & the other links should be on the clients side & all of our stuff, such as E&O Insurance links, message board, how to increase your business, etc. should be on the home inspector side & probably should be at least userid protected if not password protected.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi there all,

I have agree with the general comment about our web site, and whether we would want to let our customers see all of our antics on the index page. I like many others wince at some of the topics on our main page, and feel generally that 2 gate ways one for the public to see our more respectable face and another for our members is probably the way to go, however I loath the idea of making the inspectors areas password protected, and feel strongly that if we have anything on here, that we feel should not be open to public scrutiny we probably should take it out.

Gentlemen & Ladies we do NOT want to turn into another ASHI !

The biggest advantage that we have here (and what made me become a member) is our openness to all comers lets not loose that. ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

Gerry

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Deleted

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: dbush

Joe H,

I was mainly suggesting, and my preference would be, a userid only, preferably not a password.

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

When I updated the site, I built-in comparability for password-protected sections. There’s an access hierarchy set-up that can allow pages to be at a security level from 0 - 10. We’re working on a system to get usernames and passwords from all our members… I’m trying to think of a way to link that system in with the message board, but it might involve modifying too much foreign code, we’ll see. I’ve been talking to Nick about this, and we should have a proposition soon. We’ll probably have a splash screen with Homeowners/Inspectors/(and maybe Realtors) options. The Inspectors page will not be password protected (this would severely inhibit joining members, and be against much of what NACHI stands for). There will be a members-only section though.

I'll keep you guys posted.

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://laAZ8etlruXc16PrAKhrcUj7wfy.html)

I’m like Gerry, I wince at some of our topics, but I feel the openess must be maintained.

Bob

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I agree with Gerry.

We did a survey of real estate agents and buyers asking if they visited the inspector's association web-site as part of their decision to choose the inspector. Our survey was intended to figure out what causes a person to choose one inspector over another. It was a big 18 month survey. We learned what causes one inspector to be chosen over another now and so NACHI focus's its efforts in that direction.

More importantly we learned that almost no home buyer visits Inspector Association web-sites. Nearly nobody! Even when the web address is pushed under their nose. So nobody outside of the HI industry is likely reading these words.

Another cool thing we discovered is that letters and logos like NACHI or ASHI do nothing. ASHI written out does nothing either, namely because of the word "society" which is viewed by the general public as a social organization, not a professional association.

The super cool thing we discovered is what works: There are quite a few things that work well, which surprised us. What Really Matters article really works with agents and the full words "National Association of Certified Home Inspectors" really works with buyers. Namely because of the word "certified."

This stuff is boring to most but I was a former Senior Research Analyst and I eat this stuff up.

Nick

ps Having so much fun at NACHI...ooops...I mean the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors

Originally Posted By: jremas

I like Joe H & Jerry’s opinions. We need to separate the two but there needs to be a small area that is for members only. Not that we are hiding anything, but some things are better left at the “dinner table” we also do not want to air our dirty laundry. I never liked the public being able to go to sections that were labeled “make more money”. The public does use our site, we have been pushing the “find an inspector” page and many of us have a link to NACHI on our website. Those clients who are looking at our page will click on it to see exactly who we are associated with and how we are certified.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Jeff:

What do you think we should do? Perhaps ask whether or not a visitor is an inspector, member, buyer, or agent first? Chris can probably do anything we want we just have to decide.

Maybe the Find an Inspector should become our index page with a link to existing home page for inspectors at bottom?

I don't know.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Richard Stanley

Perhaps having “find a whatever” ie; pest control, security, plumber, etc. site would be appropriate. Then you could sell, trade links to services nationwide or as applicable. Set up same as find an inspector. Just a thought. I would definitely stay away from the conflict image that is suggested by the tri-state thing.

Hi Richard,

I am sorry but I could not agree less with your last post, this site should serve only the HI industry we do not need to dilute our message by trying to become another SERVICEMAGIC. We need this site to project a strong professional image to any clients that we direct here, and also to other HI’s who have not yet joined us. and also to help each other out with info and a few laughs through the BB.

Regards

Gerry

Originally Posted By: Richard Stanley

Gerry, I agree that the site should not become another Service Magic. That is what is happening with Tri-State. However if, for example, abc plumbing co in nowhere Idaho wanted to trade a link with this site, I do not see that as being a problem, especially if endorsement disclaimed.

Here is another can of worms - You mentioned “project a strong professional image”. There is a lot of house cleaning to do to accomplish that. When one reads the bashing of all of the HI organizations on this site and others, we can only hope our customers/clients are NOT reading it per Nick’s survey. I personally enjoy reading most of it, although I don’t care for soap operas. There is some good info to be taken from this and other forums. Perhaps a sign should be posted at the entry to this forum - “Enter at your own risk - training wheels not provided”

Hi Richard,

I have to agree with your “house cleaning” comment we all go overboard on occasions, and quite often say things that we would not wish to go any further, as to the “bashing” of other organizations, do not mistake that for personal attacks as I know for one that I do not do that (other than Joe M.) I think that just shows how passionate most of us are about NACHI.

I stand by what I said in my last post that this web site is being seen by our clients and should reflect our better judgements.

As to the Tri-State deal, the membership’s comments about that were addressed, and I belive that all are happy with the outcome. If this issue alone does not show us to be a fare and democratic association I don’t know what would. icon_question.gif

Gerry Beaumont

NACHI Education Committee

e-mail : education@nachi.org

NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

I am as guilty as anyone in going “overboard.”

But I don't bash ASHI too much because of my bi-modal feelings: On one hand I think ASHI's attempt to enslave their own inspectors is horrible, but on the other hand I think our ASHI members and former members who have joined NACHI are good inspectors and I'm glad they have joined us.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Well now, here we go again. Making me defend myself and my thought processes. Hmmmm…lemme think.

They started it......

I was just reminding them who they were talking too.....

Maybe you should only speak for yourself and let the rest of us speak for ourselves......

Oh well, maybe some day I grow up...but right now I am having too much fun with this! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Stating facts backed up by proof is not “bashing”.

Bob