Weep drains/weep holes

This is the first I’ve seen this. PVC pipes at the base of the stone veneer. Am I correct in assuming this is a system to relieve water from behind the stone? Like weep holes?

Either that or a mouse entry!

Reminds me of this;
Mice and Weep Holes - Bing video

2 Likes

Reminds me of the Saturday when I was at work. Larry the cable guy drilled a hole in my brick work just about weep hole level (never seen anybody install cable from the bottom). I know it was Larry because his hole was perfectly aligned with my cold water pipe that ran the length of the mud sill in the front. What a mess!

1 Like

Is there a water heater on the other side of that wall? Could be a pan drain, or it could be a drain for condensation on a furnace, water heater, etc.

1 Like

Morning, Johnathan.
They might be but not like I have ever seen before.
Masonry Advisory Council. Weep hole vent.
Weep holes ‘must be placed directly above flashing’ and should be spaced about 16" to 24" inches, or 2’ feet o.c. on center maximum. The most common types of weep holes, open - mortar-less Head joints, louvered vents, rope wicks, tubes, cellular vents, or a combination of these. I refer to these stretcher brick surface ends Butt joints.
stone masonry butt joint

No. These drains were at every area where the stone veneer was located to include the porch columns. All of the condensate drains, pan drains, and T&P drains were accounted for.

I am guessing that Larry had a big smile, a 4-foot drill bit, and said “I got this”. His cousin Moe drilled holes in my living room floor without a care in the world of what might lie beneath.

Weep holes are not just for water, also for ventilation (which removes water vapor).

3 Likes

Here is a pretty good resource.

1 Like

Thanks, David.
Everyone gets confused when it comes to weep hole vents. We see bulk water. They forget moisture/water vapor and dew point temperature within the wall assembly. If the surface temperature of an object falls below the dew point, water will form or “condense” on the surface of the object. That bulk water must be vented out.

In the OP’s post, Masonry Clearance is an issue as well.