Weep hole location above windows

I normally see weep holes in the 1st row of brick veneer above windows. This house had them 5 rows up. This seems to defeat the purpose, but I haven’t been able to find a reference to required weep locations.

Nothing strange. concrete construction.
The windows are below a brick shelf.
The engineers architectural design calls for bricks to go so many courses (30) high before a another brick shelf is tied in to carry the next field of brick weight.

NOTE: Serpentine cracking though.
Note it. Recommend evaluation or pointing. I can not see enough.

The angle iron should be flashed and the weep holes will allow the wall to breathe any moisture out.
That is a stacked condo 4+ stories high?

Sorry for the edit.
I may be getting ahead of myself. They may also be vent holes.

The window have lintels. All look good to me.
Metal expands contracts and is under load. In Montreal there is little masonry at the brick shelf. The shelf course is bitumen sheet with masonry pointed weather joint. The weather joint is filled with polyethylene caulk colored and 5/8’ thick to look like the masonry bedding.
Masonry bedding alone on a metal/steel brick shelf like the one in your photos have a tendency to crack laterally and wonder vertically.

no adding, editing, deleting just a few facts

location of masonry veneer weep holes and flashing is specified by code and most masonry mfr

old concept/requirement, nothing new (see pdf)

R703.7.6 Weepholes. Weepholes shall be provided in the
outside wythe of masonry walls at a maximum spacing of
33 inches (838 mm) on center. Weepholes shall not be less
than 3/16 inch (4.8mm) in diameter. Weepholes shall be located immediately above the flashing.

R703.8 Flashing. Approved corrosion-resistive flashing shall
be provided in the exterior wall envelope in such a manner as
to prevent entry of water into the wall cavity or penetration of
water to the building structural framing components. The
flashing shall extend to the surface of the exterior wall finish
and shall be installed to prevent water from reentering the exterior wall envelope. Approved corrosion-resistant flashings
shall be installed at all of the following locations:

1. At top of all exterior window and door openings in such
    a manner as to be leak proof, except that self-flashing
    windows having a continuous lap of not less than11/8
    inches (28 mm) over the sheathing material around the
    perimeter of the opening, including corners, do not re-
    quire additional flashing; jamb flashing may also be
    omitted when specifically approved by the building official.
  2. At the intersection of chimneys or other masonry
    construction with frame or stucco walls,with projecting
    lips on both sides under stucco copings.
  3. Under and at the ends of masonry, wood or metal copings and sills.
  4. Continuously above all projecting wood trim.
  5. Where exterior porches, decks or stairs attach to a wall
    or floor assembly of wood-frame construction.
  6. At wall and roof intersections.
  7. At built-in gutters.

Agreed on brick veneered commercial buildings and some residential.
Clay or concrete brick size has changed. I could be wrong.
Metric and standard brick sizes very. Throw in manufactured brick from around the world.
The market place has changed.

New methods for veneer as oposed to past or historic, insulation and substratum “ICF” l, vapor barriers, etc. The venting code for masonry and concrete, brick or stone veneered walls needs revision. IMO
Burnt brick standard sizes..

Canada’s Clay brick Association standards.

Reference to weep holes and venting air are engineering calculation IMO.
They are in the specs.

That is not masonry veneer. That is stone veneer. The year of the building construction will also effect if it needs venting.

Again JMO.

Good to have you as a member, you always have good information, thanks for taking time to help others.

Incorrectly placed weeps. They should be above the lintel and flashed. There is no visible flashing where they are now. Of course, now it can’t be easily fixed. Just make them aware.

I wish I could say more but you learn every day or at least I try.
James if you are referring to me, Please be cautious in my narratives verbiage please. I learned building. many members here have the proper context and description of an application.
That being said.
brick shelf 9 courses above a window.

brick shelf in line with a window.

Masonry bedding layout. I watched the brick (building) erection and now live here.

Vertical expansion joint.

venting for the brick shelf.

I asked the foreman. I have been on brick lines but 20 plus years ago for commercial.
Please do not use my verbiage for I am unsure.
I am just trying to help.

I agree with Joe! If there was a visible flashing then it would be OK. No flashing no go.

No flashing was visible, and I showed the buyer while on site but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the info. House built in 1989, brick veneer.

PS. A lintel is not flashing. Without flashing, lintels will rust out.

**no it wouldn’t be ok **
the required weep holes and flashing above the window/shelf angle are not present as depicted in the op pic

I don’t think you are understanding what I mean Barry. You still need weep holes at the lintel and it is better to have a flashing however you are allowed to have a weep holes anywhere you want as long as the flashing is below it. I did not say that it is correct because it clearly is not in this picture.
Not OK for having no weep holes above the lintel but Ok to have weeps at another location also.

Sorry all. I thought I was on Bob posts.
Deepest apologies Mr. Adiar.
Not much sleep over the past 72 hours.

I do not call out the lack of flashing on window lintels on residential in my area.
Nor do I pay much attention to weep holes unless the building is built within the last 20 years.
Sorry.

I understand about rust staining and frost in my area.
I call out what I can see.
Not enough information in the photo. Sorry.

Here are some examples.
I have no worries about a wood or metal framed buildings up to 4 units…

can you see flashing?
The flashing, when there is one at the lintel, can be and most likely is polyethylene 6 ml. that is cut before the iron and under the masonry.

Flashing and capillary breaks are applied on brick shelf’s that tie into wall openings if the building is commercial or large residential.
I have never seen flashing on lintels on residential 1 and 2 unit building in my 35 years. I rarely see weep holes under windows or on the foundation shelf but will say that are gaining prominence seeing that homes are becoming more air tight.
Again it is dependent upon the engineered design of the wall.

NOTE The flashing is under the masonry. If it is poly plastic is cut at the metal edge and you will rarely see it. I have never seen metal and I am starting to see blue skin on metal shelf’s on concrete stacked condo’s and plastic (blue skin with weep holes on foundation. But again only small or large commercial…

Many years have passed me by and I have not heard of a home that had gypsum board and paint issues due to the lack of weep holes.
I am speaking locally only.

JMO