Western PA inspectors

Attention Yinzers!

I need some help.

Long story short, I am getting into the home inspection game and I need someone to help mentor me for a few weeks. I have taken the required training, passed the test and have done plenty of work on homes in the past, so Im not a complete drag. The good news is that I am here only to learn and help because Ill likely be moving to TN shortly after I pass the NHIE. (required for TN license)

Heres what I can do for you:

• talk to clients (I deal with people in a professional capacity in my current role)
  • I will pay for your time (be it lunch, free labor or something)
  • I am all about learning so you can make me do just about anything you don’t want to do

Heres what I need:

• hands on experience and someone to show me the right way
  • I am only able to help on Sundays and Wednesdays currently
1 Like

Welcome to our forum, Brett!..Enjoy! :smile:

1 Like

Brett, this may help:

Contact some CMIs or CPIs within 40 to 50 miles, or closer, to your area and communicate with them. Maybe one, or more, will help you. Some inspectors feel as though they are training their competition by ride-alongs or mentoring or hiring.

Here is the link for CMIs: https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/members

And the link for CPIs: https://www.nachi.org/certified-inspectors

And Mentors: https://www.nachi.org/mentoring

Also, you may want to take advantage of your Education Team at education@internachi.org for specific questions e.g. https://www.nachi.org/become-home-inspector.htm

2 Likes

Begin with…

Home inspecting is not a game!! I take my profession extremely seriously, and with your attitude, I hope your PA & TN counterparts literally kick-your-ass!!

And before you try and back-pedal, NO, I don’t take “Well, I was just kidding”! as an excuse. That’s just total horseshit and you know it!! Be a professional or stay the hell out!!

hey man way to be supportive! I don’t want to drag you because were supposed to uplift our fellow members, but If I weren’t serious I would not be taking the courses, actively looking for a mentor that can really teach me how to do it right, and leaving my well paying office job to go out on my own. honestly Im terrified of the future in this and want to have my bearings completely beneath me before i make a move… I appreciate your feedback, it was not a joke but a figure of speech and since were exchanging feedback to each other, I hope you don’t have that kind of intensity and gatekeeping attitude toward any of your clients or friends and family. I can imagine you would be struggling both personally and professionally with that outlook.

Larry,

This is perfect. I had no idea we had a mentor program built in. Thank you!

Plan B was to start calling people and I feel that can get annoying to people who are trying to answer a phone shoulder deep in an attic.

1 Like

You’re welcome, Brett.

Example call:

"Hello, this is Brett Taylor from (Brett’s town about 50 miles to the north of you), I had a few questions that I though maybe you could help me with.

Am I catching you at an okay time? (yes or no)

When would be a good time for you to maybe help me with a few questions that could, hopefully, help us both?"

Be prepared to pay some money for the mentoring each time. And, listen to what he has to say and go from there. You may get shut down some but persistence can be a good trait and there are many helpful inspectors our there.

Good luck.

1 Like

Hi Brett, you are welcome to call me if you want to meet at my inspections or ride along. I also know another inspector who inspects a lot in western PA you might want to contact.

3 Likes

^^^^^ There is a nugget of gold to be picked up! ^^^^^

Thanks, Scott!

1 Like

@sreed3 That would be awesome!! I’ll be reaching out to you at some point today. Thank you!

1 Like

Hey Brett, let me know if you want to go out on more inspections. You can also reach out to Keith English at English Inspection Services. He does a lot up in PA. Our territory overlaps in WV and OH. Keith is a great guy with a ton of knowledge.

2 Likes

^^^^^ Another gold nugget from Scott! ^^^^^

1 Like

hey Scott!

I cant thank you enough for letting me go on these with you, and I would love to do it again soon. A test for the NHIE showed up on Thursday so im studying for that all week, but I will reach out to you and maybe Keith after I take my test and help you out any way I can.

1 Like