What can this be from?

Does anyone have any idea what this can be? Home is from 1978 slab on grade foundation. These were only visible on one exterior wall, and they were on the bottom row of CMU. That exterior wall corresponds to where the garage is. And as you can see from the pictures nothing visible on the interior portion of the wall.
image|666x500

1 Like

First thought is termite treatment through the exterior of the CMU.

6 Likes

Subterranean termite treatment.
If you take a close look there are 2 holes per block.
After drilling, you insert a rubber tipped rod, push hard to make a seal & insert approx 1-2 gal per hole @ 30 psi… Give it a “5 count”. Can’t see if the the holes were drilled on a small angle towards the ground - if the operator knew what he was doing.
You don’t want to drill the mortar. It would be a dead hole & splash back at you.
The purpose is to create a continuous chemical barrier between the soil & structure, thereby preventing subs to continue entering. :cowboy_hat_face:

13 Likes

Yes that is my thinking also.

Edit: I see the bug pro answered…thanx, Marc & Tom.

You a bug pro, too?..Better? :innocent:

3 Likes

Excellent Marc!

1 Like

Thank you guys ! Highly appreciate it.

1 Like

And he didn’t even acknowledge my existence…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

You a bug pro, too, Tom?..(See Above.^^^^^^)…Better? :innocent:

No “bug pro” Larry, but I knew what it was for… :sunglasses:

1 Like

I quoted you because I thought the same. :thinking: :crazy_face: :laughing:

1 Like

I sure did. Gave you a thumb before I responded.
You’re a bug mean poopie pants now… … …

2 Likes

I’ve owned 4 houses, all had termites. I looked at pic before I read the post and already thought “termites”.

1 Like

:cowboy_hat_face: Never trust a fart at my age…bugs or not :crazy_face:

1 Like

I was called to a home once for an “evaluation”.
Didn’t understand until I arrived.
The slab was a monolithic, not floating.
You must trench under the slab to insert the treatment rods into the soil.
The dummy drilled holes & treated. A small problem… … …
He drilled thru alright, right into the walls & rooms above slab.
BIG lawsuit, severe contamination.
The OP pics denote was a floating slab & drilled under the floor/slab line.
If they had any class they would have used white cement so the patches won’t stand out like a sore thumb.

1 Like

Doesn’t look that way in those pics. Looks like they drilled the first course of CMU, on top of the slab.

2 Likes

I do…I do!
I think you are a very credible source of building inspection information on the MB on reams of topics. You also have a fine sense humor that when combined with wit are a force to be reckoned with.
Bravo.
As well, do not use course vulgar language nor conflated arguments like some members do.
Definitely a member worth following.

PS: You can send me the money you offered me in your PM to say something nice about you on this thread. Transfer said monies directly into my personal bank account please in US funds, and yes, Mums the word, I signed the NDA. I will not tell a soul. :grinning:

1 Like

I concur, Dominic. That is why I did not chime in.

In one photo it clearly indicates a percentage the foundation slab above grade, with the first course of CMU block, that have been drilled and sealed. I thought, and it might be incorrect, if this was treatment for subterranean termites, I thought soil treatment would be an appropriate treatment on the surrounding soil, ‘to act as a treatment barrier.’ But then again I must admit, I am not qualified nor an I a licensed termite treatment contractor.
Drill holes, 2 per CMU, in first CMU course Slab above grade

1 Like

WAFI alert!

2 Likes

Bingo, you win.

2 Likes

Better to admit it than pretend like the WAFI awards officer.
Present/current/immediate company excluded, …along with Larry Kage of curse.