What Do You Say When >>

I agree with Russell.
I try to meet a client 24 hours before to seal the deal.Have them sign contract and agreements etc.
Now I offer free inspection if I am unprofessional.
You should have tried to sell yourself to the lady.
Explain that you are worth the money and cheaper inspections mean they are going to do cheaper work. That is the case or scenario I give when clients ask me for a bargain.
It all boils down to you get what you pay for.
Too bad. Next time sharpen the pencil and sell sell sell yourself. You had her. Do not let her go until all possible venues are hashed out. Offer her a maintenance inspection 100 days after she 's moved in. days. Sell.

1 Like

It’s never happened to me…but if it did I would probably say something like…“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize you were looking for the cheapest inspector available. I always refer people who can’t afford a good home inspection to the super-cheap guy in Springfield. His name is XXX. If you would like to cancel the one you have and arrange for him I’m really sure he could get you an inspection for even less than you are paying, now. Want his number?”

Gary it sounds like you have some ****ty Agents and or clients that simply are IDIOTS and don’t care about a quality Inspection. Are they satisfied paying 199 bucks and never really know the true condition of their major Investment? Does it make them feel better to just say they had an inspection? If they want to go with a cheapo guy for 199 bucks, then in reality they should just save that 199 bucks as what they will get is a 199 buck shi&^&TTY inspection. In my area you need to be on top of your game and be the best Inspector possible and anything short of that will not get you any work. Licensing to me has raised the bar on the quality, not the reverse as you keep saying. Only the strong survive here.

The few cheap guys come and go, but never survive the long haul.

Jim

Jim that is perfect…:cool: This does not happen much, as a matter of fact 1st time for me, so I was caught with my pants down and had no quick reply to give. I like what you said and will use it if that occasion unfortunately ever pops up again.

Jim

We have to be open to professionalism and the concerns of new inspectors getting there feet wet at the same time.
Not all calls are from buyers that have been sent to you through agents.
Your website creates flow.
The new social networking system we live in can drive business away as well as increase your volume.
So just as your name is used often for being good, qualified, experienced, long history in the market-place, your name also gets lost if you are rude.
You have to have the social and sales skills to keep that client you had booked in the first place…
Your name and how you treat clients travels fast with established professionals. If you are rude to one see what happens.
Yes layers and accounts, other professionals do ask for give and take on price every now and then.
So wanting to answering them with a mindless jester seems like the right thing to do , dignity and a good marketing strategy will win every time.
Remember that sales and marketing success are key strategies, along with being proficient and professional.
Its a hand and hand relationship in my opinion.

1 Like

Gary -

Read your own SoP’s, as well as MOST states with licensing. They’ve for the most part mirrored NACHI or ASHI or NAHI.

Gary - You can go as FAR as you want to / SoP’s are the minimum.

Dan that is 100% correct. Same as state licensing is the bare minimum to become a Home Inspector. After that little hurdle, it is up to the individual Inspector to continue learning and becoming the best they can be and strive to be better than their competition. This all has Nothing to do with licensing.

Jim

1 Like

As non-inspectors often read this message board, I am just trying to get my point across about how low-priced inspectors get away with charging low prices, and getting away with writing soft, basic, say-almost-nothing reports.
It is sad what the agents and lawmakers are now allowing inspectors to do, all by law. It has only dumbed-down our profession, and has cost hundreds of veteran inspectors, such as Dan and myself, lost business.

It now never matters how much experience you have, how long you have been in business, or how many initials you have by your name, it only matters how cheap you are and if you are state licensed.

I hear what you are saying, but that’s not because of licensing itself, its the easy standards. But at least it keeps the Total unskilled person with not even a clue out of the loop and sets a “Minimum” standard. Does that mean the guy with the minimum standard is a good inspector? No you are right, but it is a start anyway to legitimize this profession and at a minimum separate us from just any 2 bit idiot walking the streets from inspecting homes.

Jim